Fire Hynes

Daniel

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they lost. Again. So I don’t care how dominant they were. It gets late early and if they don’t start actually winning some of these games, the season will be over before Thanksgiving.

I commented on your post a couple weeks ago on how you are a results driven guy, but now I am right there with you. It has been a month and we have F-all to show for it. Nothing but some moral victories and blindly searching for positives like trying to find peanuts in a heap of sh!t. 7 points out of a possible 20 -- They are about to have their asses against the fire and need a near perfect, within expectations, performance to make the post-season.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I commented on your post a couple weeks ago on how you are a results driven guy, but now I am right there with you. It has been a month and we have F-all to show for it. Nothing but some moral victories and blindly searching for positives like trying to find peanuts in a heap of sh!t. 7 points out of a possible 20 -- They are about to have their asses against the fire and need a near perfect, within expectations, performance to make the post-season.

For the Devils to get 98 points this season, they will have to go 45-26-1 the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they lost. Again. So I don’t care how dominant they were. It gets late early and if they don’t start actually winning some of these games, the season will be over before Thanksgiving.

Whether fans on here want to accept it or not - the Devils played really well last night and the only reason they lost was goaltending and a bit of bad luck. Though, this board is in a state right now where people are saying some pretty ridiculous things.

If the Devils had just gotten below league average goaltending, they would have won last night. But they didn't. They got below below league average goaltending. Even PK, the guy who people love to bash, while he didn't have his best game, played well enough for the Devils to win with decent goaltending. The skaters absolutely dominated the Lightning last night. And yes, with improved goaltending, the Devils will win games if they continue to play like that. What Triumph is saying isn't all that radical - it's pretty close to just being factual.

Edited by Neb00rs

Wow they almost won games when they're at home playing teams that either aren't playing well themselves or aren't exactly the cream of the crop to begin with, and generally with more rest to boot.  Pretty much nobody else other than a horrible Ottawa team would have lost last night with the crappy effort the Lightning gave.  They won't even have leads to blow when they start going on the road and playing tougher teams after the schedule tightens up.

Nobody wants to hear excuses because it's been several years of excuses and rationalizations already.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, it's essentially as simple and black and white as this.  I'm all for looking for positives and trying to accentuate the things they did right, and if that accounted for 90% of the game, then that's great, but the bottom line is that like you said, they lost.  It's no different than a boxing match.  Right now we're the team that goes 14 rounds of a 15 round fight, back and forth trading punches, and more often than not we look like the more dominant fighter, with the judges scoring it in our favor up until this point, and then in the 15th round our opponent awakens, having stood there and taken every punch we had all night long, only to deliver a swift upper-cut to us as we hit the mat for the inevitable TKO.  

The fact that you looked better than your opponent for 14 rounds means sh!t. You busted his lip in round 2?  Great.  You gave him a black eye in round 7?  Awesome!  But you fvcking lost when it mattered most, and now someone else is holding your title belt.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Wow they almost won games when they're at home playing teams that either aren't playing well themselves or aren't exactly the cream of the crop.  Pretty much nobody else other than a horrible Ottawa team would have lost last night with the crappy effort the Lightning gave.  They won't even have leads to blow when they start going on the road and playing tougher teams.

Yep.  Not to mention the Lightning were on a back to back having just lost to the lowly Rags, and prior to that the fvcking Coyotes were also on a back to back.  I mean, as much as the schedule has sucked with long layoffs (you could argue that even though it's hard to maintain a rhythm, it could be a positive in the sense they're well rested/healthy/prepared), in general we've been pretty fortunate and the schedule has been favorable enough to the point where we should have won quite a few games at this point.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Whether fans on here want to accept it or not - the Devils played really well last night and the only reason they lost was goaltending and a bit of bad luck. Though, this board is in a state right now where people are saying some pretty ridiculous things.

So losing because of goaltending and bad turnovers and defensive positioning means that you can’t do anything about any of that to improve going forward? When this happens repeatedly it doesn’t matter how many shots we generate. It’s maddening that it continues to be uncorrected.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m really getting sick of the excuses. They lost. I don’t care.

Yeah, but the point is more...maybe don't bash everything and everyone and level directed animosity towards every player, coach, and media personality (not directing this at you specifically). The main problem with the team right now is known. It's in net. In the end, Hynes might need to go but no matter who the coach is, he won't win with piss poor goaltending.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

If the Devils had just gotten below league average goaltending, they would have won last night. But they didn't. They got below below league average goaltending. Even PK, the guy who people love to bash, while he didn't have his best game, played well enough for the Devils to win with decent goaltending. The skaters absolutely dominated the Lightning last night. And yes, with improved goaltending, the Devils will win games if they continue to play like that. What Triumph is saying isn't all that radical - it's pretty close to just being factual.

Have you ever heard the saying 'you make your own luck'?  Or the 'law of averages'?  I think most of us here understand and acknowledge that the team seemed to play pretty well last night, and perhaps the last 2-3 games before that too, but in the end, it's resulted in losses.  At a certain point you cannot continue to say "well it was just bad puck luck", or "if we only scored that goal instead of hitting the post", or "if player X doesn't do this then everything is different".  When it continues to happen over and over and over...….and yes over again, it's something else. 

I'm not going to claim to have the answer, but the solution to this team's inability to win is beyond something intangible as bad luck. 

Just now, devlman said:

So losing because of goaltending and bad turnovers and defensive positioning means that you can’t do anything about any of that to improve going forward? When this happens repeatedly it doesn’t matter how many shots we generate. 

I hope Ray can do something - I don't know if he can. I hope MB29 can turn it on - that's really my only hope because Cory looks done. See my comment above as well - I just think that the criticism being leveled should be directed to where the problem actually is.

The Devils were good last night minus the goaltender. They were so good they got a point despite horrible goaltending.

Just now, Neb00rs said:

I hope Ray can do something - I don't know if he can. I hope MB29 can turn it on - that's really my only hope because Cory looks done. See my comment above as well - I just think that the criticism being leveled should be directed to where the problem actually is.

The Devils were good last night minus the goaltender. They were so good they got a point despite horrible goaltending.

The goaltender was the main problem last night. But let’s be honest here, the defensive positioning by players was still sub par.. the amount of turnovers is still too high. These must be fixed. How many games does this need to occur before it is corrected.

Also, if our goalies are terrible then the coaching staff needs to adapt a system that protects the goalies more.
There are things to be fixed that need to be fixed by coaches and players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Their goaltending is either dead last or next to last so it wasn't a freak thing last night nor is it likely it's going to miraculously going to get better. It's more of the same, so yeah it's pretty tiring already.  It's a disaster.

I think it was MD2020 who said last night it's getting late early around here having pissed away some home games here already. Apologies if it was someone else but even though it's cliche' it's dead on for me.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

The goaltender was the main problem last night. But let’s be honest here, the defensive positioning by players was still sub par.. the amount of turnovers is still too high. These must be fixed. How many games does this need to occur before it is corrected.

Also, if our goalies are terrible then the coaching staff needs to adapt a system that protects the goalies more.
There are things to be fixed that need to be fixed by coaches and players.

The team played well enough to win. There's no getting around that fact. There's no game without turnovers, there's no game without mistakes. The team gets just .850 goaltending, they win the game.

Devils are 30th in power rankings, woohoo.  Perhaps they can catch Ottawa and finally be best at something, being worst.  Although I’m sure I would see potential in Ottawa if I watched them.  Can’t say the same with these bunch of misfits...or mfitz (just thought of that because I thought it would be funny to write, certainly don’t mean anything negative by writing your handle, was looking for something humorous even though the Devils are nothing but a joke) I particularly think you’re a great poster.

2 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The team played well enough to win. There's no getting around that fact. There's no game without turnovers, there's no game without mistakes. The team gets just .850 goaltending, they win the game.

And that ^ is what is particularly sad about our current state of affairs. 

2 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

Devils are 30th in power rankings, woohoo.  Perhaps they can catch Ottawa and finally be best at something, being worst.  Although I’m sure I would see potential in Ottawa if I watched them.  Can’t say the same with these bunch of misfits...or mfitz (just thought of that because I thought it would be funny to write, certainly don’t mean anything negative by writing your handle, was looking for something humorous even though the Devils are nothing but a joke) I particularly think you’re a great poster.

No offense taken. It’s kind of like the Howard Stern philosophy, whether you love me or hate me, I still have your attention lol. 

• Haha 1

I like this squad of players. They were better in all games except boston, philly and buffalo, and were face to face with edmonton. Yes they really can`t regroupe in defensive zone smart and quick enough, yes they may have better goalie stats - may be they need new goalie coach, may be new goalie, may be new head coach and new assistants. 

But it isn`t worst hockey what devils show in last 5-6 years. Most mistakenest - yes. 

Seriously, are you waiting for play-off year with all of new guys? If answer is yes - ok, we need head coach replacement. If answer is no - i really don`t understand all fire in pants - they make step in their game, moves in offensive zone are very flashy. And they are bad in def and net becouse that is what we expected before season - corey turned into a pumpkin. This was never happened and here we go again.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Guadana said:

I like this squad of players. They were better in all games except boston, philly and buffalo, and were face to face with edmonton. Yes they really can`t regroupe in defensive zone smart and quick enough, yes they may have better goalie stats - may be they need new goalie coach, may be new goalie, may be new head coach and new assistants. 

But it isn`t worst hockey what devils show in last 5-6 years. Most mistakenest - yes. 

Seriously, are you waiting for play-off year with all of new guys? If answer is yes - ok, we need head coach replacement. If answer is no - i really don`t understand all fire in pants - they make step in their game, moves in offensive zone are very flashy. And they are bad in def and net becouse that is what we expected before season - corey turned into a pumpkin. This was never happened and here we go again.

This post is great.  Sincerely. It's great because it puts things in perspective, showing appreciation for how far the team has come from a skillset standpoint, while still acknowledging their faults and what they need to improve.

We need to get Guadana to a game this season.  If we could get 20 people on here to donate $20 each, would that be enough for a plane ticket and a nosebleed seat?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This post is great.  Sincerely. It's great because it puts things in perspective, showing appreciation for how far the team has come from a skillset standpoint, while still acknowledging their faults and what they need to improve.

We need to get Guadana to a game this season.  If we could get 20 people on here to donate $20 each, would that be enough for a plane ticket and a nosebleed seat?

I’m understanding that it is an irony, but Im not in shades. Anyway - I’m agree.

Someday I’ll do it by myself. 400$ isn’t enough but it’s not a problem. Hope someone from this board will take couple of beer with me.

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I’m understanding that it is an irony, but Im not in shades. Anyway - I’m agree.

Someday I’ll do it by myself. 400$ isn’t enough but it’s not a problem. Hope someone from this board will take couple of beer with me.

I don’t think that will be an issue with this crowd. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Guadana said:

It's a little bit of a hyperbole (irony isn't really the best word, but I won't hold that against you :) )  - but for the record, I would totally send you 20 bucks if other people were chipping in and it meant you could attend your first ever Devils game.  You seem like a cool dude, and I'm sure it would probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity, since you live so far away. 

And also, I'd definitely have a beer with ya, but what about vodka?? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's a little bit of a hyperbole (irony isn't really the best word, but I won't hold that against you :) )  - but for the record, I would totally send you 20 bucks if other people were chipping in and it meant you could attend your first ever Devils game.  You seem like a cool dude, and I'm sure it would probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity, since you live so far away. 

And also, I'd definitely have a beer with ya, but what about vodka?? 

It’s not a problem with money. Before that I must travel to Europe for taking visa in US. I haven’t big travel history yet. But opportunities for that will open soon after I’ll finish with my education - yes I’m a student in 31 and it’s not cheap. Reason why I’m not traveling. 

When it will happen - we may drink everything after the game. I root for everything except hunger strike. I’m not drink guy, but I’m not principal princesse.

Anyway thanks a lot, I’m very pleased with this golden offer. I don’t know how to put it.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

not sure if we can save this season at this point. and I dont know if a system change can cure our ills on D. it seems the base set 5v5 defense in our zone isnt the issue. its the horrible turn overs deep in the offensive zone that creates odd man rushs , combined with bad goaltending and just terrible luck. we fixed the breakouts and and arent getting pinned in as we were early on, we fixed the PK, we are scoring goals.  hall probably isnt resigning so we work him like a rented mule once he gets hot we move him for a first + , thats 2 firsts next year. then you decide if hynes can get you over the hump

• Like 1