Ondrej Palat signs with NJ - 5 years @ 6m

SterioDesign

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Tatar and Palat are just such dramatically different players though. Palat plays great in his own end. He hits people. He’s a strong net front presence (something we badly need). He plays PP and PK minutes. He was a big leader on the budding dynasty in Tampa. Playoff performer. 

Tatar is just a moderately skilled goalscorer. Palat is a whole damn hockey player.

Absolutely.

Not comparing players. I'm saying for older players things can go south fast

15 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

I can get the same 35 points Palat will produce here much cheaper from Zacha. 

No you couldn’t. And it’s one thing to not like the signing or disagree with it, but when you make comments like yours, it’s clear you have never watched this guy play at all. 

for the record i was also not a fan of 7 years for Gaudreau but i felt at least Gaudreau would be an impact players for a few years at least

I guess we'll see how he can gel with our centres and we'll go from there. We're a better team with him than without

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We'd have to overpay for Niederreiter too. 

You're right.

How much the Devils are paying Palat shines a light on how poorly the Devils have produced forwards who are good two-way players. 
It'd be nice if the Devils didn't have to pay a very good (not great) hockey player $60 million. But here we are, a sieve of a team with a decent offense (but a hurting power play) and a checking line that checks no one. 

I envision Dawson Mercer playing with Palat. I see the potential for a good two-way player in Mercer. And he doesn't cost $60 million yet. 

Why do people count up a player's points to assess their total value as a hockey player? It's bonkers. Goal prevention is a thing. Some players are good at it. Pavel Zacha isn't one of them.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

You're right.

How much the Devils are paying Palat shines a light on how poorly the Devils have produced forwards who are good two-way players. 
It'd be nice if the Devils didn't have to pay a very good (not great) hockey player $60 million. But here we are, a sieve of a team with a decent offense (but a hurting power play) and a checking line that checks no one. 

I envision Dawson Mercer playing with Palat. I see the potential for a good two-way player in Mercer. And he doesn't cost $60 million yet. 

Why do people count up a player's points to assess their total value as a hockey player? It's bonkers. Goal prevention is a thing. Some players are good at it. Pavel Zacha isn't one of them.  

I was hoping they would get DeBrincat, when that didn’t happen, I jumped on the JG bandwagon.  Now that they missed out on JG, the unreasonable and irrational fan that I am, I am talking myself out of how great a JG signing would have been.  7x$9.8 is a big contract and how would it look in years 5,6 and 7.  I think 5x$6 is the safer move.  What good would it do to have JG if our young core didn’t take another step forward?

At the end of the day, I can’t wait for October!

Edited by Puckbuster

4 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

At the end of the day, I can’t wait for October!

Same here. I'm hopeful.

Somehow the Devils have to improve their goal differential, and there are some obvious ways to do it, like scoring more on the power play. Gaudreau would have helped. DeBrincat would have helped. We didn't get either. Hopefully the PP improves regardless. It really does need to get better. I'm not even talking about the bucketful of shorthanded goals that were given up last season.

You can also improve goaltending and defense. Palat helps there. Is he worth $60 million? Probably not. But he is a fine, fine hockey player. Guys like Bobby Nystrom and Guy Carbonneau must be jealous, because they'd be making $60 million today, too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

Not saying it’s a great deal, but if score sheets were all that mattered there would be no need for pro scouts. These 2 players aren’t even remotely similar when it comes to how they are to play against.

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Same here. I'm hopeful.

Somehow the Devils have to improve their goal differential, and there are some obvious ways to do it, like scoring more on the power play. Gaudreau would have helped. DeBrincat would have helped. We didn't get either. Hopefully the PP improves regardless. It really does need to get better. I'm not even talking about the bucketful of shorthanded goals that were given up last season.

You can also improve goaltending and defense. Palat helps there. Is he worth $60 million? Probably not. But he is a fine, fine hockey player. Guys like Bobby Nystrom and Guy Carbonneau must be jealous, because they'd be making $60 million today, too. 

I agree.  It’s not the big splash, but it will improve the team.  If we are to believe that Jack, Nico, Brett, Mercer, Hamilton, Sharangovich are part of a core for the next 6 or 7 years.  If Luke, Nemec and Holtz are the future additions over the next season or two.   They need veterans and support players around them.  Yes, 5x$6 maybe a bit much, but it will help the younger players round out their game.  I don’t hate it, but I can live with it if he gets 40-45 points, has 120+ hits and is a nemesis in front of the next.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Im worried this was a panic move and that we overpaid. Dude never scored 25 goals in the NHL on stacked teams and he's 31. He's a 40-50pts guy.

He's clutch though and bring good leadership and we have the cap space to overpay a bit now i guess. 

It was a panic move & we did overpay. This is one of the worst contracts handed out on day 1. Had to squeeze it in around midnight to try and soften the blow of not getting Gadreau. As if this signing is going to excite the fans. Looking forward to midseason when he has 17 points and -7 rating. We'll be looking forward to 4 and a half more years of replacement level production from an over 30 forward making 6 million bucks. But guys he won stankey cups in Tampa though! He's a winner! He's gonna teach the young guys how to win! Not unless he brings the actual stars from Tampa (that are the reason Palat has rings) over here. This is going to be an albatross. Before his first season ends we will be counting down the days until we can get this contract off the cap. He will be nothing without the machine in Tampa surrounding him. An average bottom 6 level producing forward for 6 million a year at 31 years old. Let's have a parade for Fitz.

This is more than I would have wanted to pay , but that's free agency. People are always saying , "oh with a trade you have to give up assets, free agency means you can get players without giving anything up", but that's not really true as you have to give up a bit more cap space than you would want. 

This is in no way a terrible deal though. He brings a lot of things this team has been lacking. I still maintain you need a blend of young guys and veterans who know how to win to be a success. 

Also the fact he has won the two cups with Tampa will be a useful selling point down the line if he isn't living up to the contract and we need to move him. GM's still love players who have been all the way for their own own cup run, so I can't see him being difficult to move if needed. 

At the end of the day do I think the team will be better with him? Yes, so that's all that matters at this stage. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJD16W said:

He averages 55 points per 82 GP for his career.  He does tend to miss some games every year but not a ton of them.  Compare his career numbers to Zacha’s and you’ll see there’s absolutely no comparison.

It’s not a thrilling signing, but it’s a solid one.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJD16W said:

It was a panic move & we did overpay. This is one of the worst contracts handed out on day 1. Had to squeeze it in around midnight to try and soften the blow of not getting Gadreau. As if this signing is going to excite the fans. Looking forward to midseason when he has 17 points and -7 rating. We'll be looking forward to 4 and a half more years of replacement level production from an over 30 forward making 6 million bucks. But guys he won stankey cups in Tampa though! He's a winner! He's gonna teach the young guys how to win! Not unless he brings the actual stars from Tampa (that are the reason Palat has rings) over here. This is going to be an albatross. Before his first season ends we will be counting down the days until we can get this contract off the cap. He will be nothing without the machine in Tampa surrounding him. An average bottom 6 level producing forward for 6 million a year at 31 years old. Let's have a parade for Fitz.

Palat and Gaudreau are entirely different players with entirely different roles. Gaudreau would have been relied on to lead the team in scoring. Palat will not. You’re the only person comparing 2 totally different players. 

Please explain how we could afford 10 million for Gaudreau but this is an albatross?? We still have 20 million in cap space with Bratt to sign. Hughes, Nico, and Hamilton are all signed long term. Johnsson, Tatar, and Severson will most likely all be off the books in the next 1-2 years clearing another nearly 12 million. By the time we need to extend anyone, Palat will be gone already. The only way he’s an albatross is if we somehow sign 3-4 huge contracts in the next 4 years or the cap goes down which isn’t projected to happen. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Palat does more than score goals. When people call him a "support player," I think that sells him short. He's a support player the way Bobby Holik was a support player (different skills, but you know what I'm saying). Palat is on the ice in all situations. Very good hockey player. Not a coattail rider in Tampa.

Exactly 💯. Palat is more than just statistics. Great skater who is strong puck possession player. He'll play I their top 6. That'll help. 

He is the definition of a clutch player. Strong five-on-five. Good penalty killer. Forechecks well. Can play power play. A smart player. 

Hughes not only needs a goalscorer on his wing, he needs someone who can battle along the boards, win puck battles and be a pest in front of the net. Hopefully Palat will be that man. Is the contract perfect? No, but that's free agency for you. Definitely not a "sexy" signing, but a pretty important one imo.

5 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Same here. I'm hopeful.

Palat is making $30 million ($6 million X 5 years).  Yeah it's an overpay, but not an insane one, and that's how it goes with UFA.  But he will help with aspects of the game where the Devils definitely need help.  It's simply a solid signing.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Fitz fails to sign JG: fvck him, what a failure. 

Signs one of the other top 5 free agents available: fvck him, what a failure. 

Heh heh.

To the fans who had JG as the be-all end-all of the Devils' offseason, sure, guess they think this offseason is a failure so far.  I don't see it that way; the goaltending's been shored up (it has a solid chance to be league average, which would be a huge step forward), Fitz added a solid assistant coach who could even land the HC gig in time, Zacha is outta here for another player who probably fits the Devils better than Zacha, and Palat is a good "makes sense even if it's not sexy" signing.  Obviously still gotta sign Bratt (I do think this will happen in time), Vanecek, and Wood, but the Devils will have a core of Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Palat, and Hamilton.  L Hughes and Nemec waiting in the wings, and it's not over for Ty just yet.  Also Holtz (I admit it, not bullish on him) and others who will be joining the big club.  I don't necessarily think Fitz is done yet either.     

• Like 1

Who cares, it's not a horrible signing. We are a better team than we were last year that's a fact. Palat is a leader, clutch where needed. And highly coveted, for a reason. Did we overpay by maybe about a million yes so what but these players get slightly get overpaid every single year it's not the end of the world especially if the cap will be going up as it should in the future. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Fitz fails to sign JG: fvck him, what a failure. 

Signs one of the other top 5 free agents available: fvck him, what a failure. 

Eh I actually get the go big or go home mindset to free agency, and most of the time I agree with it. This is an exception, especially given we needed this player type to help the younger players and move the rebuild into the next stage. Plus the Devils have a crap ton of cap space in the immediate future so who cares about the contract the next three years? As far as the back end teams are getting out of crap deals all the time, the Devils had the most cap space for years and not only didn’t they win, they couldn’t even compile assets taking on other bad contracts. There isn’t as much of a market as you think for that.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Muevelos said:

Who cares, it's not a horrible signing. We are a better team than we were last year that's a fact. Palat is a leader, clutch where needed. And highly coveted, for a reason. Did we overpay by maybe about a million yes so what but these players get slightly get overpaid every single year it's not the end of the world especially if the cap will be going up as it should in the future. 

The contract is fine.  Jack, Nico, Dougie (and soon-to-be Bratt) are locked up and not due raises anytime soon.  Devils will have some cheap "from within" guys up here very soon...by the time L Hughes and Nemec should (hopefully) be due significant raises, Palat's contract will have a year or two left.  Hard to imagine the Devils having cap issues in the next few seasons, especially with Tatar, Johnson, and Seves all coming off next year.  They won't be absolutely flush with cap space, but they won't be up against it either.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Palat is making $30 million ($6 million X 5 years).  Yeah it's an overpay, but not an insane one, and that's how it goes with UFA.  But he will help with aspects of the game where the Devils definitely need help.  

Yeah, good catch. $60 million. I REALLY had him overpaid!

• Haha 3