The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

Kinda cool that they're all still buds.  Who's the other dude next to Nico?  Once upon a time I had hair like that.  Then nature intervened...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never been there myself, but sounds like a great family-run place to be.  Love stories like this.

Only NHL signing/meet-and-greet that I ever went to (with my then-10-year-old daughter of course) was for Palms, back on 3/24/2019...it was in West Freehold. 

iPlay I assume in Freehold Township

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

iPlay I assume in Freehold Township

That was it.  We didn't check out the games and such...not sure why.  I used to take her to Dave & Buster's sometimes (and similar places) and she always had fun at those venues.

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was it.  We didn't check out the games and such...not sure why.  I used to take her to Dave & Buster's sometimes (and similar places) and she always had fun at those venues.

I'm right around the corner from there

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm right around the corner from there

We took a nice walk in the neighborhoods right near there (got to the event a bit early)…probably went right by your house heh heh.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We took a nice walk in the neighborhoods right near there (got to the event a bit early)…probably went right by your house heh heh.  

You didn't.........but close lol

Great area

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My pic with Gordie was taken close to there too

• Like 1

Another gem from Pucks and Pitchforks, re:  Bahl, where the author basically guesses it could be damned every possible scenario as to why Bahl hasn’t been re-signed yet:

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2023/07/30/new-jersey-devils-kevin-bahl-negotiations/

It’s not really all that complicated…Bahl is a RFA with no arbitration rights yet, who has yet to play more than 42 regular season games at the NHL level (though he did appear in 11 playoff games last year…all but one of the Devils’ playoff matches).  But overall he has 77 games as an NHLer in the regular and playoffs combined.  He just doesn’t have much leverage at all right now, and Fitz can pretty much get around to this whenever he wants.  There sure is no way in hell that Bahl’s camp is making any ludicrous demands (such as anything approaching $3 million in AAV)…the body of work simply isn’t there for his agent to embarrass both himself and his client in such a manner.

1 minute ago, Bonginator11 said:

Yeah, Fitz had simply had ALL of the leverage here...gave Bahl an extra year, but the AAV is only $1.05 million...I was thinking he'd get at least $1.3 million AAV.

Basically, like other young kids in the past (like Kuokkanen), Bahl did enough to get the Devils to say, "OK kid, you got our attention, here's another chance, now it's on you to build off what you've done to date, and to show us that you get to be a part of this thing going forward."  Too early to know if he does indeed take more steps, but this is a nice first step forward for Bahl because if he hadn't shown some potential in forcing his way into the lineup, he could've followed Boqvist out the door.  For now, he's made himself relevant enough to get another look.  Good for him, love stories like this.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, Fitz had simply had ALL of the leverage here...gave Bahl an extra year, but the AAV is only $1.05 million...I was thinking he'd get at least $1.3 million AAV.

Basically, like other young kids in the past (like Kuokkanen), Bahl did enough to get the Devils to say, "OK kid, you got our attention, here's another chance, now it's on you to build off what you've done to date, and to show us that you get to be a part of this thing going forward."  Too early to know if he does indeed take more steps, but this is a nice first step forward for Bahl because if he hadn't shown some potential in forcing his way into the lineup, he could've followed Boqvist out the door.  For now, he's made himself relevant enough to get another look.  Good for him, love stories like this.  

He's shown us that he'll step up in playoffs and be that physical guy. He's shown us that he'll fight guys, even in playoffs. I like everything that he brings. He's not slow and seems to be taking steps to get better on the breakout to make less mistakes there. 

I like the deal and I was hoping we could ink him for more than a year and we did. Got him for under 2 million aav. Nice way to kind of wrap up the summer and no arbitration that would have given him 1.3 AAV at best anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

He's shown us that he'll step up in playoffs and be that physical guy. He's shown us that he'll fight guys, even in playoffs. I like everything that he brings. He's not slow and seems to be taking steps to get better on the breakout to make less mistakes there. 

I like the deal and I was hoping we could ink him for more than a year and we did. Got him for under 2 million aav. Nice way to kind of wrap up the summer and no arbitration that would have given him 1.3 AAV at best anyway. 

Yeah Bahl definitely did enough to earn another deal.  And it's a very reasonable one at that...hopefully he keeps Smith glued to some press box pine.  

Here are YOUR 2023-24 New Jersey Devils...next offseason should be relatively light.  The big questions will be what does a Dawson extension look like (ditto Schmid), does Holtz show enough progress in Utica to allow the Devils to let Toffoli walk without worry, and does Nemec do the same to send off Miller?  There will be some lower-line questions to answer here and there, but the core is pretty set.

New Jersey Devils Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

This was one guy we could see improve as he played.

I personally thought he was godawful early in the year, and was very happy to see his progression

This was 100% a make-or-break season for him, no question...he needed to show something or I think he would've been non-qualified for the exact same reason that Boqvist was.  Not that Boqvist showed nothing at all, but not enough for Fitz to want to give him any more chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Bahl definitely did enough to earn another deal.  And it's a very reasonable one at that...hopefully he keeps Smith glued to some press box pine.  

Here are YOUR 2023-24 New Jersey Devils...next offseason should be relatively light.  The big questions will be what does a Dawson extension look like (ditto Schmid), does Holtz show enough progress in Utica to allow the Devils to let Toffoli walk without worry, and does Nemec do the same to send off Miller?  There will be some lower-line questions to answer here and there, but the core is pretty set.

New Jersey Devils Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jeeze before looking at this link I forgot that we're still paying for Schneider AND kovy. Granted kovy is only 250k but damn that signing feels like a life time ago now and we're still feeling the effects lol. and we're paying 2 mil to let Cory play in bridgeport

16 minutes ago, SeanMac16 said:

Jeeze before looking at this link I forgot that we're still paying for Schneider AND kovy. Granted kovy is only 250k but damn that signing feels like a life time ago now and we're still feeling the effects lol. and we're paying 2 mil to let Cory play in bridgeport

Fortunately Cory's dead money has never really hurt the Devils from a flexibility standpoint...Fitz obviously made choices not to pay guys like Tatar, Wood, Seves or Graves (wouldn't have made any sense to of course), but at least he didn't have to make any difficult "I really don't want to deal this guy but..." kinds of moves.  

Cory's hit is coming off at EXACTLY the right time...once his and Kuokkanen's dead hits come off ($2.375 million freed up for next season), there's one more $250k cap recapture for Kovy in 2024-25, and that's it.  But ya never know when another one is coming...hopefully Fitz won't have to dump anyone anytime soon.  

• Like 2

I like the bahl deal, thats a high reward, low risk move right there. Seems like our off season is just about done now. If a deal is made for a goalie i expect to see it at the deadline, nothing major is going to happen the rest of the season on that front.

https://www.nhl.com/news/free-agency-signings-2023/c-344949384?tid=281072352

It is amazing to me how many players on that list who had spots last year are now jobless. 

Nolan Patrick is a UFA. Very little interest from anyone. So many young players might be looking for jobs in Switzerland, Sweden or Russia at this point. Obviously there's a lot wash outs and young guys with no name who were never going to be re-signed from teams systems, but there are some interesting names out there. 

Edited by RizzMB30