Johnny Mac joins Coyotes as Asst. Coach

DevsMan84

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

If his time in PHX is anything like when he coached in NJ, good luck Coyotes... Ya know. 

He is going to be assistant coach which he was not bad at in his time in NJ.

Tocchet was nothing special and from what I remember kind of disappointing in his time as HC in Tampa.

• Like 1

Nothing but the best of luck to Johnny Mac.  Hope everything works out for him.

• Like 3

I remember him strangely calling Henrique "On-Reek" and Elias "EEL Lee Ash" early on and it just left me scratching my head. I mean you've been associated with the team in some capacity for how long and you don't know how to pronounce these guys names? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

I remember him strangely calling Henrique "On-Reek" and Elias "EEL Lee Ash" early on and it just left me scratching my head. I mean you've been associated with the team in some capacity for how long and you don't know how to pronounce these guys names? 

Eh, that's probably a speech/personality quirk more than anything.  I think if either of them really cared, he would have made a point of pronouncing correctly.

At Coyotes coaches meeting in December: 

Tocchet: "Ok guys, any suggestions to help us get out of this losing streak?"

*JMac raises hand*

Tocchet: "Other than signing Marty Brodeur and starting him 20 games straight."

*JMac slowly lowers hand*

Just kidding, loved Johnny as an assistant and wish him the best. 

Speaking of former Devils, looks like Marty has joined the Team Canada management group for the Olympics, and will be helping to assemble that roster. Here is an interview he did with FAN 590 in Toronto:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any of the above mentioned would be great choices.  Doubt they get Weekes away from NHL Network though. And Stevens might not want to commit considering he wanted to spend more time with his family. Elias might be the perfect replacement. 

32 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I know he was great before my time as a Devils fan and for that I thank him. But he was a miserable, miserable excuse for a coach and probably cost us a solid shot at a deep playoff run. He then followed up that tenure with the laziest, most bland and boring commentating I've ever seen. He was paid by the Devils and COULDNT EVEN PRONOUNCE ELIAS NAME RIGHT. He said "Jack Parise" more than once, "Eric Larsson" more than twice, and "Patrick Eeeliashh" seven thousand times. 

I hated him and I'm glad he's gone.

I mean, he was more or less the coach when Lou was technically the head coach, and the results were pretty good.  So it wasn't unreasonable to think he could be the head coach in name too.  Just never commanded the respect of the players it seems.

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I know he was great before my time as a Devils fan and for that I thank him. But he was a miserable, miserable excuse for a coach and probably cost us a solid shot at a deep playoff run. He then followed up that tenure with the laziest, most bland and boring commentating I've ever seen. He was paid by the Devils and COULDNT EVEN PRONOUNCE ELIAS NAME RIGHT. He said "Jack Parise" more than once, "Eric Larsson" more than twice, and "Patrick Eeeliashh" seven thousand times. 

I would love to know what happened behind the scenes, as far as his coaching tenure went...how he ran a practice, what he said to his players, etc...the Devils were SO bad under his watch.  What made it all even worse was that I think Lou didn't possibly think the Devils could continue to struggle that much...that they would eventually almost have to snap out of it, even if MacLean was still the coach.  It even took Lemaire eight games to "detox" them, before they went on that insane run that made for an entertaining second half (though contrary to popular belief, the Devils never really got that close to a playoff berth). 

Can't say that those Devils had a deep run in them though...not having Parise for so much of that season obviously hurt.  But yeah, that team should've at least made the playoffs...they certainly had the talent, even with Marty showing his first signs of decline.  MacLean's coaching was clearly the top factor as why that didn't happen, though Lou (by his own admission) waiting too long to put Mac out of his coaching misery was also a big factor. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

My exact thoughts.  I'm too young to be able to appreciate what he did for the Devils as a player, for better or worse.

Good riddance to him.

19 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

He is going to be assistant coach which he was not bad at in his time in NJ.

Tocchet was nothing special and from what I remember kind of disappointing in his time as HC in Tampa.

Definitely disappointing in his time as Tampa's head coach.  Pretty underwhelming style of coaching and leadership (or lack thereof).

I wish Johnny Mac the best.  Not sure what to expect, especially since he's just an assistant like you said.  Also can't help but feel this is kinda random.  Does he have ties to Tocchet?  Why Phoenix?