All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

12 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Karlsson speculation is all moot until we find out if we're on his list of acceptable teams.

I don’t know if it matters that much, since he can always agree to waive.  And I think so long as he’s traded to a contender and not a Canadian team, I speculate there’s a good chance that he would.  Also, he would probably be interested in teams that are in a good position cap wise.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

With OEL, I’m just going on reputation.  I’ve said it before though, Karlsson makes this team a Cup contender for the next two years.  He made a much worse Ottawa team just that last year.  And the Devils can afford to give either of them the contract extension they want. 

Imagine our Cap if we get Karlsson, sign him to an extension, then sign hall, bratt and Hischier in 3 years. Don’t know if it would even be possible lol

18 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Imagine our Cap if we get Karlsson, sign him to an extension, then sign hall, bratt and Hischier in 3 years. Don’t know if it would even be possible lol

I havent run the numbers, but I think we could manage.  Karlsson and Hall together would probably cost about the same as McDavid and Draisatl, maybe a little less.  I suspect that Nico and/or Bratt won’t be getting Matthews type deals.  Maybe something a little more than Nugent Hopkins.  

Things might get tricky with Vatanen though.  He’s the type of player who should hold out for free agency, and would get a substantial overpayment from a lot of teams.  

Consensus on HFboards is that this:

To Ottawa:
Marcus Johansson
2019 1st round pick 
Pavel Zacha
Damon Severson

To New Jersey:
Erik Karlsson

Is a bad deal for Ottawa.  Now granted, HFboards is filled with idiots.

That said, the above, to me, is a massive overpayment.  If that doesn't get it done, I want nothing to do with EK.

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To Ottawa:
Marcus Johansson
2019 1st round pick 
Pavel Zacha
Damon Severson

To New Jersey:
Erik Karlsson

That said, the above, to me, is a massive overpayment.  If that doesn't get it done, I want nothing to do with EK.

I think there's one too many pieces in that deal. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To Ottawa:
Marcus Johansson
2019 1st round pick 
Pavel Zacha
Damon Severson

To New Jersey:
Erik Karlsson

I accidentally skipped over the 1st round pick line, and even with that not in there, I still thought that was too steep.  I know the guy has tremendous skill and is still pretty young, but didn't he just suffer a pretty serious injury, and so far this year, his numbers have declined significantly?  To be honest, I'd rather have a stay at home defenseman than someone like Karlsson who joins the rush and puts pucks in the net.  The older Cory gets, the more it looks like he needs help clearing pucks from the net. Give me guys like Severson and Butcher to be offensive contributors, maybe even Moore to an extent -- don't need anymore of those.  Let's see what Mueller brings when he comes back.  Not saying he's anywhere near Karlsson's level, but before doing anything drastic I think it's worth looking at all of our options first.  I've been pretty disappointed in Johansson's production thus far, but it's only his first season with us, and packaging him along with Zacha (granted, another mutli-year disappointment up until now), AND Severson, is just way too steep if you ask me.  Throwing in a 1st on top of that is ludicrous. 

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To Ottawa:
Marcus Johansson
2019 1st round pick 
Pavel Zacha
Damon Severson

To New Jersey:
Erik Karlsson

Take out MoJo and I might do it.  Problem is that a deal for EK as a rental is for a team that is in a win-now mode.  We are not there yet.

I still think that if EK is intent on not re-signing in OTT that the return he will fetch will be somewhat underwhelming. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To Ottawa:
Marcus Johansson
2019 1st round pick 
Pavel Zacha
Damon Severson

To New Jersey:
Erik Karlsson

Also, I don't think that's a bad deal at all for Ottawa, considering the guy isn't going to sign there anyway. That'd be a pretty good haul for a rental player. 

On 1/17/2018 at 5:01 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Are there any names on the Trade Bait Board which would actually make sense for the Devils to trade for, given that we're not looking to give up picks and are not billed as a Cup Contender?  I would think maybe only guys on contracts that are not UFA in case we feel they fit into long term plans...

Those guys (on non-UFA contracts are):

• Hoffman, signed 2 more years - i think he would cost a ton to acquire
  • Pacioretty, signed 1 more year - for being signed only 1 more year, not worth it
  • Galchenyuk, signed 2 more years - interesting case
  • Z. Smith, signed 3 more years - i like Smith personally but probably not needed
  • A. Shaw, signed 4 more years - a more talented Zack Smith... maybe
  • Pageau, signed 2 more years - only if Zajac somehow finds himself elsewhere
  • Phaneuf, signed 3 more years - no, too cap costly
  • Barrie, signed 2 more years - would love it, but probably will cost a fortune

I'd take a look at Galchenyuk even if the attack is not our priority. Good player, young, can play LW, can also fill in at center and would greatly benefit from playing on a line that has a decent centerman. He has lots of year in front of him.

The typical talented guy that the Habs chase out of town and lose at the end. He was drafted with a ton of hope being placed on him to turn around the whole club (which was totally unrealistic) and since then he has been a disliked player here. They would probably part with him for less than what it would usually take to get a guy like this. 

On 1/20/2018 at 10:31 PM, Mike Brown said:

This team really has no glaring weaknesses.

We don't need help on defense like some people think.  John Moore, Damon Severson, and Sami Vatanen have all essentially played like top 4 defensemen this year if not top 2 defensmen.  Then having Butcher, Mueller, Greene, Loveoy, and Santini filling out the other 3 spots really makes the defense corps deep.

If there is one area we could use an upgrade at, it's the 2nd line center spot.  In a perfect world, Zajac would be the 3rd line center and not the 2nd line center.  Now in order to upgrade there we can one of two things trade wise.

• trade directly for a 2nd line center
    • I don't really know of which centers have been rumored to be available.
  • trade for a scoring LW and then move Mojo to the 2nd line center spot.
    • We all know there are a few of these available in guys like Galchenyuk, Kane, Pacioretty, Nelson, Vanek, and Hoffman.

If not a trade, then imo they should just put Zacha there and really let him loose.  He needs to be given an opportunity in the top 6 at some point if we expect him to produce and be successful.

I'm late to this party, so my apologies if my thoughts have previously been expressed.

I do think the Devils could use another reliable D-man. Lovejoy plays well in spurts, Santini seems shell-shocked. Fingers crossed the answer is Mirco Mueller returning from injury. If it is, then yeah, they're pretty well set. If it's not - and Greene struggles - I'd like to see the Devils take a run at Hjalmarsson if Arizona is willing to move him. Cap hit right around $4m, signed for another year and could provide some additional stability on the back end.

2nd line center, please and thank you... but unless there's a team in contention that suddenly nosedives, I'm not thrilled with any of the potential rental options. Galchenyuk is worth the gamble and would potentially be a longer term solution, but at a higher cost to acquire him. I'm ever-hopeful that Zacha will start playing with more confidence, show his offensive skills (a.k.a. resemble the dude who kicked ass in the preseason) and outright claim the 2nd line C job, but until that time comes, I'd be happy just seeing him remember how big & strong he is when battling for the puck along the boards.

Re: Galchenyuk, I've never seen an organization been so disenchanted with a player that scored 30 goals at the age of 21, but honestly nothing Montreal does anymore should surprise people. If the price is right, I'd love Galchenyuk on the Devils, I think he's exactly what we could be missing in our top 6, kid knows how to score goals and getting out of that hell hole in Montreal I think will make his production soar.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Re: Galchenyuk, I've never seen an organization been so disenchanted with a player that scored 30 goals at the age of 21, but honestly nothing Montreal does anymore should surprise people. If the price is right, I'd love Galchenyuk on the Devils, I think he's exactly what we could be missing in our top 6, kid knows how to score goals and getting out of that hell hole in Montreal I think will make his production soar.

The more I consider it, the more I think it makes sense to acquire Galchenyuk.  Throw some beans at Montreal and get him in the fold, sit tight on D, then offer the kitchen sink to John Carlson this summer.  Call it a day.  Unless there's some very cheap defender available right now that wouldn't cost anything.  Really tired of Lovejoy.

13 hours ago, insanity_gallops said:

I'm late to this party, so my apologies if my thoughts have previously been expressed.

I do think the Devils could use another reliable D-man. Lovejoy plays well in spurts, Santini seems shell-shocked. Fingers crossed the answer is Mirco Mueller returning from injury. If it is, then yeah, they're pretty well set. If it's not - and Greene struggles - I'd like to see the Devils take a run at Hjalmarsson if Arizona is willing to move him. Cap hit right around $4m, signed for another year and could provide some additional stability on the back end.

2nd line center, please and thank you... but unless there's a team in contention that suddenly nosedives, I'm not thrilled with any of the potential rental options. Galchenyuk is worth the gamble and would potentially be a longer term solution, but at a higher cost to acquire him. I'm ever-hopeful that Zacha will start playing with more confidence, show his offensive skills (a.k.a. resemble the dude who kicked ass in the preseason) and outright claim the 2nd line C job, but until that time comes, I'd be happy just seeing him remember how big & strong he is when battling for the puck along the boards.

A true top pairing d-man is something this team is lacking.  I just don't see one that's available that won't cost the team an arm or leg. Greene would be excellent if he was given less ice time.  He still brings value to this team, but like Lovejoy last year, he's being overused.  Everybody else on defense has been excellent.

We absolutely do need a 2nd line center which is something I've been saying for a long time.  Problem is now we also need a 2nd line LW if Johansson is gonna be out a while.  Nyquist from the Wings comes to mind, and I don't think he'd be that expensive.  Zacha has been playing very well for a while now despite his production not being there.  All the underlying numbers are there, and I think he really deserves a shot in the top 6 for an extended period of time, and not just spot starts there.  I also agree Galchenyuk would be perfect, and would probably ask about Pacioretty as well.  Hoffman from OTT is also a possible candidate.

40 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

The more I consider it, the more I think it makes sense to acquire Galchenyuk.  Throw some beans at Montreal and get him in the fold, sit tight on D, then offer the kitchen sink to John Carlson this summer.  Call it a day.  Unless there's some very cheap defender available right now that wouldn't cost anything.  Really tired of Lovejoy.

I’m the exact opposite: I feel Lovejoy, when I’m the lineup is actually a reliable defender, especially during this skid. The shorty against the Preds was a iffy pinch with a bad break with the puck being perfectly chipped to Arvidsson.

20 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

A true top pairing d-man is something this team is lacking.  I just don't see one that's available that won't cost the team an arm or leg. Greene would be excellent if he was given less ice time.  He still brings value to this team, but like Lovejoy last year, he's being overused.  Everybody else on defense has been excellent.

Re: bolded. You cannot be a top pairing defenseman if you need your minutes limited in order to be effective. Your top pairing guys are the ones who eat the minutes and are effective regardless. Greene is a bottom pair defender now, his legs don’t allow him to be active in the defensive zone, and outside of a handful of games, he has been a major liability who needs his partner to pick up his slack.

I guess we'll learn a lot by trade deadline with Carlson? If caps can't sign him, very much doubt they try to go into playoffs w/out him, even if they get nothing if he leaves.  I think Caps will resign unfortunately. i wanted Mike Green before the season began, not now. 

I'd like to get a relatively fast/large fw if there's one available out there. I realize we're skilled, but nobody's scared of us like they are say Winnipeg. Just maybe A Patrick Maroon type would work w/ Nico/Hallsy? 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Galyenchuk and Pacioretty? Sure, would love to have them here. But what would it cost? I imagine something like Zacha, McLeod, Quenneville, Mueller and our 2019 1st. 

Whoever takes Pacioretty is going to have to send a lot in return. Pacioretty is only surpassed by Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, and Pavelski in the last 5 seasons in terms of goals total. He is a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer and he played his entire career on a team had no real 1st or 2nd centerman to pair him with. It would be surprising to see the Canadiens ship him out, but even if it happens, it's going to cost a lot for the team taking him.