Fire Hynes

Daniel

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No, Shero isn’t going to say anything directly, but a guy like MaKenzie would be able to figure it out since the organization would be sending feelers out to coaching candidates who themselves have agents and so for5h.  And it took Lou an additional month to fire MacLean after that quote, and that’s a coach who didn’t have a track record of futility like Hynes.

I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a Devils fan.  fvck Hynes and fvck Shero.  

You're making a lot of assumptions here about the process behind hiring a new coach and what gets out to the media. How often do we see rumors come out about a team reaching out to other coaches while their current head coach is still employed? It may have happened, but I can guarantee you it's not often.

In any case, McKenzie might very well have spoken to Shero directly and was told, "No, I'm not firing him" and it could be a fullproof answer if Shero truly hasn't decided yet. He can still decide two minutes after the phone call or two months. McKenzie may have sources available to him across the league, but he's still media and his own sources, whom he calls and presses for answers using his close relationships with them, are going to often be as ambiguous as they can with him. I don't really need to go on much here, you know as well as I do what McKenzie said does not mean that Hynes can't be fired immediately after next game.

Edited by Neb00rs

24 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't really understand what you're arguing. The point is, as you say, "Ray shouldn’t/wouldn’t openly say in public 'my coach is incompetent'" aka you ain't going to know that Hynes is going to get fired until it happens - whether it's next week, or Shero waits as long as two months. When Shero SHOULD fire Hynes is a different debate.

It goes back to the discussion we had last week regarding the sense of entitlement: selfish me is absolutely entitled to knowing when the GM is about to can the waste of space behind the bench. The realist in me understands he cannot do that. 

my argument was more in the first sentence, Lou waited way too long to fire Mac and the run they went on was too little too late under Jacques.

EDIT: to your other post, Hynes could be forcibly fired tonight if he were to get caught with a DUI and a stash of coke under his seat... hey does anyone know any cops in Jersey, asking for a friend....

Edited by jagknife

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

By the time we come out of that break, we could be.

I pretty much agree with this. If the Devils lose the next two, they'll probably have to win around 45 of their remaining 74 games to make the playoffs - that's over 60% of their games (and they'd need additional OT losses I'm not counting). The order is already tall enough as it stands and I don't think the Devils have good enough goaltending to win such a large percentage of their points remaining.

• Like 1

Again - Ray is gonna say Hynes is safe until the second he fires him which i still think is no later than Saturday.

It would take a public statement by Ray basically stating that this is not coaching and it is 100% on the players to perform and you haven't seen anything like that.

Not worried about what Mac said.

• Like 1

"Josh Harris and David Blitzer are not impulsive men. Just look at their other sports properties. Brett Brown will enter his seventh season with their 76ers despite a .362 winning percentage and back-to-back losses in the Eastern Conference semifinals."
That doesnt bode well for Devils fans. If H&B tolerate losing, wtf. 

Basketball is a different game than hockey - 1-2 great players can turn into a bad basketball team into a very good one instantaneously. Everyone knew the 76ers were going to be bad in the Sam Hinkie “trust the process” years, including the 76ers themselves, and the franchise thought if it stockpiled enough high draft picks, it would get those 1-2 great players. (For whatever it is worth, as a 76ers fan I never fully trusted Sam Stinkie’s process.)

What I said above isn’t true in hockey. Much like baseball, you need a handful of at least good to very good players to have the kind of depth to develop a good team. You can’t just stockpile draft picks. And the Devils’ moves this past offseason, coming after a disappointing season that itself followed a semi-surprising playoff season, yelled “we’re intending to get back to playoff contention now”.

I don’t think any sort of move with Hynes will occur in immediate future, but the ice he’s skating on is getting thinner. If the Devils don’t start playing better, I could see Hynes getting axed as early as the end of November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is absolutely unacceptable. Shero is committing franchise malpractice if he doesn’t fire these dipsh!ts.

Its fvcking total horse sh!t. Fire the fvcker and move on man enough is enough

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

What is with this forum and attacking people who collect jerseys?

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about Meigray or EPS, etc. 

So in short, don’t let one or two trolls discourage you from talking about your collecting. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interested. 

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Again - Ray is gonna say Hynes is safe until the second he fires him which i still think is no later than Saturday.

It would take a public statement by Ray basically stating that this is not coaching and it is 100% on the players to perform and you haven't seen anything like that.

Not worried about what Mac said.

respect your opinion.

But disagree, Mac is one of the best and I'm way more confident in his hot take rather than our wishful thinking. Unfortunately. He usually has his finger on the pulse of this kind of thing. That when added to the owners patience with the 76ers leads me to believe Hynes isn't halfway out the door. Mix in a couple of wins and I think he's really sticking around for at least the next few months. Some of these guys that haven't done much of anything should at some point pick it up (forwards wise) which hurts the Hynes needs to go mentality as well. I think the D will continue to suck. #Hynessh*tshow 

Edited by titans04

Ray needs to be careful here as well. If he lets this go too long, or doesn't fire him despite what ownership may think - his replacement is right behind him in Fitzgerald. This is a much different animal than the 76ers in corporate structure, ownership of the building, etc. 

For me, it's time. A win here or win there won't change any of that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about Meigray or EPS, etc. 

So in short, don’t let one or two trolls discourage you from talking about your collecting. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interested. 

I appreciate the mention and that you appreciate the info that I and others bring. 

Listen, I’m aware that jersey collecting and being a hockey fan are two different things. And jersey collecting is a bunch of different things on its own, it can be done a hundred different ways. My collection is nothing like DM84’s collection, nor CR76’s. 

This board isn’t tailored to collecting, and that’s fine. But it’s about Devils fanship, and for a few of us collecting is part of that. Those who don’t like it, don’t participate. But making fun of people for collecting jerseys is ridiculous, and I’m sure that the people who mock collectors have something equally mock-able in their lives. They just aren’t as vocal about it lol.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If you guys want some bad takes from guys that obviously don't watch the team. They start the podcast talking about the Devils. 

I miss the days when The Hockey News was the creme de la creme for information. Getting that in the mail (yes, kids, it was a hard copy, paper type publication) and then keeping it in my backpack to school until the next one came out 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

Bob MacKenzie in Insider Trading says Shero isn’t thinking of firing Hynes, nor the staff, at this time. Mac had the usual poor goaltending poor defense scapegoats, hunted Nico is day to day, but to not expect Hynes to get fired any time soon. He suggested Ray would make a roster move before firing him.

if this is accurate, and obviously Bobby Mac is one of the best, then I’m just as pissed at Ray as I am at the staff. He’s allowing the roster he built to be wasted early and often, and apparently is complacent in it.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-growing-sense-of-optimism-surrounding-byfuglien-s-return~1804737

video is available globally 

Everyone calm down please.  This is just party line stuff for the reporters.  After all, what else is he going to say?  He can’t very well say he is going to fire Haynes unless he actually does it.  So that leaves Shero with saying he has no plans to fire anyone or, “I am seriously thinking about firing our coaching staff, but since I’m publicly acknowledging that they are close to being canned this will probably completely undermine them so I might as well just fire them now.....”.  The only other options that are open are versions of this last one and all of them put the GM in a corner by setting public terms that he will have to live with.  So if he says that Haynes has to win the next two games but, instead, the team wins one and ties the other, but they look awesome both games, what do you do then?  Or what if he wins both and then loses another six?  

So I think Shero is playing his cards close to his vest, like a good GM should..... at least i hope so.  Because if he really isn’t considering replacing Haynes behind the scenes then Sheri really is part of the problem sad to say.

Edited by AEWHistory
Grrrr.... my autocorrect screws me again.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

So we’re stuck with this loser it appears....

I think we're stuck with this loser, I think Harris and Blitzer are totally fine with a losing team (look at the 76ers), and I think Shero and Hynes have a very tight friendship and there's no way Shero will fire him.

48 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I think we're stuck with this loser, I think Harris and Blitzer are totally fine with a losing team (look at the 76ers), and I think Shero and Hynes have a very tight friendship and there's no way Shero will fire him.

If that happens the building will be empty. Fans will not show up. And that will hurt.

Edited by Gunslinger27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

Everyone calm down please.  This is just party line stuff for the reporters.  After all, what else is he going to say?  He can’t very well say he isn’t going to fire Haynes unless he actually does it.  So that leaves Shero with saying he has no plans to fire anyone or, “I am seriously thinking about firing our coaching staff, but if I don’t publicly acknowledging that they are close to being canned will probably completely undermine them so I might as well just fire them now.....”.  The only other options that are open are versions of this last one and all of them put the GM in a corner by setting public terms that he will have to live with.  So if he says that Haynes has to win the next two games but, instead, the team wins one and ties the other, but they look awesome both games, what do you do then?  Or what if he wins both and then loses another six?  

So I think Shero is playing his cards close to his vest, like a good GM should..... at least i hope so.  Because if he really isn’t considering replacing Haynes behind the scenes then Sheri really is part of the problem sad to say.

Yeah to me the proof is in the pudding...if they have two more desultory performances this week and Hynes isn't fired at that point, then the worst fears get realized.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slasher72 said:

You may be right, but if that’s the case then they’re fools.  There are certain franchises that you can let wallow in mediocrity and the fans still fill the stadium.  The Cubs and Red Sox for a century, the Jets since before I was born, the Lions since Creation,  the Knicks, etc.  The 76ers seem to be one of those franchises, but the Devils are not.  Even during the Devils best years we never had massively successful attendance records.  It is tough to gauge exactly since the Devils best years were in another arena whereas now they have a much nicer facility that is more accessible, but I’d argue strongly that this team is costing itself serious money by underperforming.  So you may be right, but if you are then our ownership is either idiotic or has an agenda (like trying to justify moving the team or something).  I’ll say this: anyone trying to move the Devils will find their tires flattened and sugar in their gas tank.  

I still wish Hynes was fired after Monday's game, like that night, or yesterday morning, but I've come to the conclusion that he's not getting canned yet.  I firmly believe he's going to get a minimum of 10 games this season.  We all know they're in an early hole and that each game they lose the hole gets deeper, but all this talk about them being out of the playoff race (seriously, what?! lol) and the winning percentages they'd need to get in is insane.  It might be the lightning-in-a-bottle scenario and 1 in a million chances, but the St. Louis Blues were in last place in the league last year and they won the fvcking Stanley Cup.  Very few GMs are going to can their head coach less than 10 games into the season after having made a lot of roster moves in the off-season, especially when those GMs don't have any suitable replacements lined up, which from what we can gather, Shero does not.  

I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago and I'll see if I can find it to quote, but I believe Hynes has until mid/late November to right the ship before he gets the axe.

10 hours ago, slasher72 said:

This is on Mikepeluso8/Daniel/Carpathianforest levels of makes no sense-- Especially the bolded.

Just because Shero will give Hynes a longer leash to try and right the ship doesn't mean he just won't fire him, it just means he has more faith in him than the fans(which isn't surprising giving some of the hottakes). Shero isn't a moron. He'll do what needs to be done.

Why the hell would ownership inject so much cash into the team if they were "okay with losing"? No owner is okay with losing. Winning = more money, and they just got done investing a ton to try and make that happen. Idk how they are with the 76ers but they seem really hands on here.