The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The other thing is, obviously, he’s coming from a losing team. If you think he would be happy here, that’s probably not the case. And it’s not like his being in Buffalo turned them into a winner, they did a lot of losing with him. 

A guy already disenfranchised with his former club, probably not what you want in your locker room full of guys that have barely started puberty. 

41A2AED4-B23F-4D5F-A318-B7D310944275.gif

Just seen that Eichel us wanting some form of experimental surgery to fix his herniated disk in his back. The Sabres medical team were not down with it. 

Eichel has only played more than 70 games in a season twice. He has never played a full 82 game season. If we have concerns about Nico staying healthy , then Eichel would be a major worry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ruff is keeping all of his assistants? Cool cool. 

How's the 2022 draft looking? 

Yeah I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm kinda done with Ruff now.  I could understand the "he's only been here a year argument", as far as Recchi is concerned.  But no one can sell me on more nASS.  My lasting memory of him will be the Devils calling time-out, nASS diagramming god-knows-what, and the opposing team (I already forget who...was it Boston?) going right down the ice and scoring.  I don't care if it wasn't all his fault.  I just don't like losers getting to hang around season after season.

Well that’s disappointing. I hope this isn’t a case of Fitz being overly loyal to “his guy” like Shero was (multiple times). I’m surprised Ruff is so on board with bringing both Nas and Recchi back, but at the end of the day isn’t it ultimately Fitz’s decision?

I understand the lack of practices hurt the special teams in particular, but they were so epically bad you’d think there’d be some changes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Are we seriously gonna have to crowdfund a billboard on McCarter hwy to get rid of nASS? What the absolute fvck

I’m in for that if we can get enough people lol. Let’s put it on 280 though, more eyes.

Edited by MadDog2020

Also disappointed to hear that Nas will probably be brought back.  But like Nicomo said, the condensed condensed schedule was a killer.  I think the Devils had like 1 or maybe 2 full practices from the time they got back from the team COVID lockdown.  Special teams is what you work on in practice.

Trading Nico for Eichel straight up would be terrible. Nico is the only center on the roster with any ounce of defensive acumen. Put him with Kouks and and Sharangovich. Deploy them against other teams top lines. Give Hughes softer minutes and let Nico do the heavy lifting

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed. Something about Eichel rubs me the wrong way. Just seems like a douche.

I had thought the same thing.  Wonder if he's a whiney b>cht?  We have no idea if any skeletons exist.  Also, his "disc" issue could turn into something long term, missing a lot of games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I had thought the same thing.  Wonder if he's a whiney b>cht?  We have no idea if any skeletons exist.  Also, his "disc" issue could turn into something long term, missing a lot of games. 

I know this could just be a media thing, but he seems to always be pouting. There seems to be a rumor every year about how unhappy he is. Much like Laine though, we don't know what's true and what's just a reputation. 

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

36 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I know this could just be a media thing, but he seems to always be pouting. There seems to be a rumor every year about how unhappy he is. Much like Laine though, we don't know what's true and what's just a reputation. 

So i feel like he’s “pouting” cause the wonderful Buffalo media is literally pinning the team’s results on him and he’s sick of their bullsh!t (fvck you, Mike Harrington).

also reading Friedman’s 31 thoughts and him wanting to get the artificial disc replacement for his neck that has helped even MMA fighters return to the octagon when the team is trying hard to deny it, against the NHLPA “second opinion” clause, is some bullsh!t on the Sabres’ part.

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm kinda done with Ruff now.  I could understand the "he's only been here a year argument", as far as Recchi is concerned.  But no one can sell me on more nASS. 

Pressure's on. If the special teams are atrocious again in 2022, all three of them will be out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Trading Nico for Eichel straight up would be terrible. Nico is the only center on the roster with any ounce of defensive acumen. Put him with Kouks and and Sharangovich. Deploy them against other teams top lines. Give Hughes softer minutes and let Nico do the heavy lifting

Yeah, I'm pretty happy just riding Hughes and Hischier as our top centers.   One looks like a budding offensive force and the other a top end two way center.  Until proven otherwise, I see no reason to make a move.   These two should improve naturally.  It's the rest of the roster that needs an upgrade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I'm pretty happy just riding Hughes and Hischier as our top centers.   One looks like a budding offensive force and the other a top end two way center.  Until proven otherwise, I see no reason to make a move.   These two should improve naturally.  It's the rest of the roster that needs an upgrade.  

Arguably, center is where we need the least amount of help. We have two guys who may turn out great and enough other guys to cover 3rd and 4th line duties, even if you make Zacha a permanent wing. 

I think we should focus more on filing in the wings and more importantly, a backup goalie and defense. To use a music analogy, the goalie and defense are like your rhythm section. No matter how flashy and talented your guitar player and singer are, your band will suck if your rhythm section can’t hold it down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Arguably, center is where we need the least amount of help. We have two guys who may turn out great and enough other guys to cover 3rd and 4th line duties, even if you make Zacha a permanent wing. 

I think we should focus more on filing in the wings and more importantly, a backup goalie and defense. To use a music analogy, the goalie and defense are like your rhythm section. No matter how flashy and talented your guitar player and singer are, your band will suck if your rhythm section can’t hold it down. 

Awesome! Best analogy winner.

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

I just can't believe that the Devils who just named Nico as Captain and then he gets injured.... trading him this coming season. 

Does anyone think this is a real possibility?  Honestly? Everything is possible but 

I can’t imagine they are looking to do it. I would hope they would entertain it depending on what was being offered. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can’t imagine they are looking to do it. I would hope they would entertain it depending on what was being offered. 

I think they would entertain it, like for 30 seconds. I would entertain it and consider it carefully but the Devils won't. Fitzgerald would lose respect, just my opinion on the respect point.

For the Devils to improve, my definition of improving is to start with a solid contender team to make the playoffs; they need to desperately improve the defense FIRST with expensive quality defensemen that are overpaid to join the Devils. That includes goalies. No more cheap bandaid fixes, and pray the youth immediately improve. Defensemen take the longest to develop. 

NHL team's win with defense.

With the defense in place, defense youth improving in the AHL, you grow the offense. Then finally, in a couple, maybe 3 or 4 years, you get a team like the PRESENT Boston Bruins built to make a run for the Cup. 

The Devils will continue to flounder without a defense. Present Devils Defense is awful. 

They have the money. This is not rocket scientist work. This Devils rebuild has been terrible.