Devils have recalled forwards Stephen Gionta and Patrick Davis

Quinn01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just updated the online roster. Parise, Corrente, and Josefson are still not marked as injured however. Lil' Gio is #55 and Davis is listed but no number yet.

Davis will most likely be #14.

Gionta will definiitely not be #55. That's just typically his training camp number. I'm sure his real number will be under 30.

Gionta will definiitely not be #55. That's just typically his training camp number. I'm sure his real number will be under 30.

This is true. Lou for some reason does not allow the higher numbers above #33 (Salmela) this season. There were exceptions of course throughout the years. Gionta may wear #21 since Eckford is sent down. Davis most likely will wear Sestito's #14. Maybe Gionta asks for #14 since that is the number his brother Brian wore. That would be pretty cool, IMO.

from tg's blog

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_send_down_tim_sestito_and_tyler_eckford_call_up_stephen_gionta_and_p/

I'm sure that is the reason.

And has Zach been placed on LTIR? Haven't seen it but I've been under the weather and haven't been reading much.

Couple thoughts that I will post here cause i don't know where to put them and am in catch up mode.

I thought this team has played fairly well the last 4 games or so. got some bounces in the wins, bad bounces in the losses.

I keep seeing everyone bith about the D, where o where is the PP? 1 or 2 timely PP goals(or even momentum building) could have meant a few more points.

Getting A-train back will be big. May take a few games for everyone to readjust again, but it should have a ripple effect. like getting a number 1 face-off guy, everyone improves.

Joe

I couldn't agree more

I remember watching Stephen and Travis Zajac play for the Riverrats when both players first signed with the Devils. Gionta hustled up and down the ice the entire night... I think he even scored the game winner that night but I can't entirely recall. I just remember his energy and how absolutely green Zajac was...

Per TG Fire and Ice Blog,

Stephen Gionta and Patrick Davis are also on the ice for the skate after being called up Thursday. Gionta is wearing No. 14, which his older brother, Brian, wore for the Devils before signing with Montreal on July 1, 2009

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/volchenkov_brodeur_on_ice_for_devils_morning_skate_stephen_gionta_inherits_/

:koolaid::evil::koolaid:

:noclue:

Why do some guys here think they know so much more than the Devils organization based upon hearsay and a limited amount of games watched -- and the LEAST informative piece of data - a stats sheet?

I'm just so sick of it. My non-hockey related armchair pop-psychology has been positively reenforced and affirmed via organization action and game outcome far more often than the highbrow hockey analysis of some of you guys..

but it's a free country so :blahblah: away

Tri - since this came on the heals of your post -- I completely approve of how you can call a guy a non-NHLer and yet still see and communicate his value in the here and now. In plain-speak - I didn't mean you :P:giggle:

ACTUALLY - I should add - I'd like to see you find a way to respect intangibles a little more. Lou respects the intangibles. I'd have liked for you to have included that SGio is probably bringing a little bit of a mental edge (be it maturity / hockey smarts/ tenacity or combo of all) none of us can really see on a stats sheet - that no one else in ALbany can bring.

Edited by Pepperkorn

PK:

look at all of the players with stephen gionta's stats in college and in the pros. then think about how many 27 year old first year NHL players go on to do anything in the NHL. then consider that gionta has been in the organization for 4 years and that this is his first call-up. he is almost certainly not an NHL-quality player. i mean, good for him that he's getting his shot, he's been a loyal soldier in the minors.