GDT: Devils @ Toronto 7:30 PM

MadDog2020

If only my daughter didn't have her dance class this Friday...

Me:  "Screw dance, let's go see the Devils!"

Her:  "But I like to dance!"

Me:  "BUT I LIKE TO HOCKEY!  LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself but just think what next year will look like with a stud defenseman added in the first round. This team has so much upside. Because I've been so used to old Devils hockey I feel like I'm watching this team in an alternate universe....and....and.... I'm loving it!

I mean this is a discussion for a different time, but I wonder what kind of defenseman Zajac could bring back.

Honestly when Boyle comes back, our center depth will be stupid.. Zajac of course can slot in on the 3rd line I guess but seems to me like he'll be under utilized there.

13 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself but just think what next year will look like with a stud defenseman added in the first round. This team has so much upside. Because I've been so used to old Devils hockey I feel like I'm watching this team in an alternate universe....and....and.... I'm loving it!

Hopefully Severson takes a huge step forward and Butcher becomes our Shattenkirk.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean this is a discussion for a different time, but I wonder what kind of defenseman Zajac could bring back.

Honestly when Boyle comes back, our center depth will be stupid.. Zajac of course can slot in on the 3rd line I guess but seems to me like he'll be under utilized there.

Are you kidding, Zajac is going to be a stellar piece to this group. His leadership, 2 way game, decision making, his playmaking next to these guys, forget it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Zajac at most is the kind of player that brings back a prospect and/or draft pick from a good team.  That’s not  Devils what the are looking for if what’s happening right now is actually real and sustainable.

The only way the Devils are getting another young long term solution on defense is by trading a young long term forward solution to a team that has a lot of defenseman. Basically, something akin to the Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen trade.    You hear Zacha for Hannifin get thrown around on social media and the like, which isn’t totally implausible.

I do worry that this high intensity style of play is going to drain the players very quickly and you will start to see mistakes creep in. I think that's what we saw in the 3rd in this game. 

The fact we have a lot of young guys who haven't played that quantity of games let alone at this level is keeping me grounded at the moment. 

I was really shocked when Q and Blandisi were sent to the AHL but shows what I know, Coleman and Gibbons have been excellent. Reminding me of Madden and Pandolfo back in the day, you need those type of guys to bring the hussel. 

The game against the Caps will be the real acid test to see where this group is at. 

Nice to be the only team undefeated in the East though. 

• Like 1

Wow, enjoying the season so far. A few notes on last nights game...

- Schneider is back to form. He was tremendous last night... again.

- Severson has to stop to play these blind passes through our crease or I die with a heart attack.

- Hischier looked like a rookie in the first period when the Leafs put their top players out against his line. He looked overwhelmed at times, but settled in as the game went on. A learning process.

- Butcher is just fine defensively, surprisingly enough. He is very intelligent and always at the right spot.

- Jesper Bratt... what can you say about him? Reminds me of Gretzky at times with his moves and his vision. Could become a real good NHLer when he continues to develop.

- The fourth line is incredibly good. Not just there to not being scored against, but actually creating chances. Coleman plays like a man possessed. True Devil :-) And Gibbons, so useful.  

• Like 1

Henrique is playing with fire and intensity that I don't recall ever seeing from him before. He must've had a wake up call at some point this offseason because the snarl and confidence has been noticeable.

The 3v5 goal is Henrique getting pissed off about the non call on his breakaway and driving to the net like a freight train. Later in the game, I loved seeing him punish Martin for the hit on Bratt. Good job defending the young guys. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If only my daughter didn't have her dance class this Friday...

Me:  "Screw dance, let's go see the Devils!"

Her:  "But I like to dance!"

Me:  "BUT I LIKE TO HOCKEY!  LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

It’s like we’re living parallel lives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

I hope no one here is actually worried about Hischier and hall having no goals so far :lol:

Nah.  The good news is that though it's still obviously way early, this has the look of a team that will get scoring from different players a lot of nights...it's not going to be a top-heavy one-line team that lives and dies with the same 2-3 guys' ability to find the net any given game...10 Devils have already scored at least one goal through three games.  That's great, in that there's not pressure on certain guys to score (and in the case of Henrique-types, they won't be asked to do too much, like they've been in past seasons). 

Re:  Hischier and Hall specifically, Hischier's an 18-year-old kid who just made a huge jump from the QMJHL to the NHL...I expect a lot of up-and-down from him...we'll see flashes that will have us salivating at how good he could become, and games where he's going to have a rough time.  I think for a kid his age, if he gets through a full season with the big club and doesn't look too overwhelmed, he had a fine year.  But unlike many #1-overalls, he's not stepping into a situation where he's the first (and initially only) piece...he has some nice support here, and isn't being asked to carry the team.

Re:  Hall...it's only three games, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that he's one of those guys who's better at getting his scoring opportunities and shots than he is at converting them.  He's an 8.6% shooter in his last 210 GP (from the start of the 2014-15 season).  He kind of reminds me of 2006-2008 Patrik Elias...I don't think he'll ever endure a 4-goals-in-42 games stretch like Elias did in that time frame, but I think if you expect more than a 25 goals-per-82-game pace from Hall, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  Doesn't mean he's a bad player or a guy who isn't going to be an important part of this team, just that he's not going to put up the same offensive numbers that he did in Edmonton.  And you'll have your fair share of "C'mon Taylor you gotta bury that one!" moments when you watch him. 

8 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Are you kidding, Zajac is going to be a stellar piece to this group. His leadership, 2 way game, decision making, his playmaking next to these guys, forget it. 

It's funny...he's almost going to be like a deadline acquisition when he's able to play...an experienced vet who can stabilize and help with the team's weaknesses down the stretch.  I think he will definitely be an important piece when he comes back...even if he ultimately winds up on the third line (too early to say where he'll play of course...who knows who will be in the lineup by then). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Amazing team performance.

1. Schneider is back to his best.

2. Hats off to the defence. Yep, too many shots given up but they battled for sixty minutes.

3. Bratt still amazes me.

4. I'm a big fan of Coleman. Deserved his goal for all the graft he puts in.

5. Been impressed with Zacha this season. Had a couple of bad shifts in the third but his re-direct was pretty damn good.

6. 3-0 is an amazing start to the season. 16 goals in 3 games is pretty damn sexy to.

if by defence you mean cory, then yeah I agree LOL... but the leafs are a darn good team, speed everywhere and we matched it 

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t, that stat is both amazing and totally awesome.  I hope it stays that low for a few more games lol.

I barely was able to think “this is the first time we’ve been losing all season” and then next thing you know, it was no longer true.