GDT: Game 2 - Devils at Lightning - 14 April @ 3pm Eastern

jagknife

22 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

No NHL team is bad enough to allow 10 goals over two games and be excused. Not Arizona, not Buffalo, not Vancouver. This league is about more than mobilizing what you have than any other. These score lines are unacceptable. 

Again, I believe the difference is the mental lapses in their defense that they’ve had, it’s not that there’s no effort. Tampa is a team that’ll make you pay for mistakes, and that’s what they’ve done, but to say there’s no effort in these two games is just simply not true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This team seems to play better when the pressure is really on. They have made it really difficult for themselves now. 

They've also only played better in each game this series when behind by 3+, you're not going to sustain success that way.

we need to be realistic. we ain't winning this series. and that is ok! of course we all want them to win the cup, but cmon.. we need our team to learn from this and for our gm to fit players into our roster that can one day (hopefully soon!) make us into contenders! hall and hischier got a taste of the playoffs. I know for a fact they will come out hungry next year. few pieces away!

• Like 1

Jesus fvcking Christ MB could you get over yourself for five seconds when it comes to your constant Hynes ripping?  It sounds doubley absurd coming from you...do you really think you know more than him?  God it's amazing how one person can find so many ways to be so annoying.

------------

As for the game and this series...I wish it was going differently, but I'll be at the Rock for Games 3 and 4 no matter what happens.  I just can't go ballistic on this team for being down 0-2 to the Lightning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

we need to be realistic. we ain't winning this series. and that is ok! of course we all want them to win the cup, but cmon.. we need our team to learn from this and for our gm to fit players into our roster that can one day (hopefully soon!) make us into contenders! hall and hischier got a taste of the playoffs. I know for a fact they will come out hungry next year. few pieces away!

They're not dead yet, but at the same time, we knew that this team wasn't a finished product.  Still holes to fill and work to be done.  Devils weren't going from a 70-point team to a legit SC contender in one season.  Improving by 27 points and making the playoffs was a big step forward.  I think they'll continue to take them in the seasons to come.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

We are winning this series! They cannot and will not win at the rock!!

Edited by devlman

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinkaid won a lot of big games down the stretch to get us in. I’d keep rolling with him. But I think Cory will get the nod on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel for KK.  Incredibly unlucky these two games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Picking a Game 3 goaltender .... glad I don't have to make that decision.

For kk... Maybe 1 goal in 2 games was stoppable.  Most were either perfect tips or our d blowing their coverage  (And actually scoring against him today) Did make good though saves in each (more in game 1).  

For cs.... came in and didn't allow a goal.  Has a bit of confidence following his performance. 

Tough call, but imo you stick with kk.  Cs came in and kept them scoreless but was also had 0 pressure on him.  Kk has been beaten by the perfect plays (And with Tampa that's alot if you don't cover people).  

Going back to kk would be a big sign the organization doesn't trust cory this yr...   well see Monday what happens

• Like 1

Hynes presser hit on the exact keys - gave them too many gifts.

Lovejoy found a way in both games to cause goals - that Delay of Game penalty when there was no pressure is just par for the course for someone whose default setting is grenade handling.

While the Palms call was absurdly weak, he went for an extra hit in the defensive zone on a previous goal that just was not necessary. Boyle also went for extra hits for no real reason. hitting for hitting sake kills me when it sets up rushes the other way.

All the D had their adventures tonight which just goes to show, when you have 7 defensemen, you have no defensemen. 

With all that said, this is so much more about Tampa being able to not be excellent and still be able to win rather comfortably because they are really good.

Oh, and for good measure, fvck You Conte for letting "Not Connor Chatham" continue to kill us.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Why? Because Tampa is up 2:0? We all realize our inexperienced team is playing a cup contender, but Tampa with all its talent and speed doesn't look unbeatable. True, chances are not high. Remember many here predicted fiasco with 15 games left in the season because our schedule was more difficult than Florida's? They made the playoffs and now you are predicting we are going to lose the series. Maybe. I think we are going to battle back and hopefully tie it in NJ, and if...IF it happens I wouldn't be so certain about Tampa. Go Devils.

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• The Devils were the better team
    • Play like that again on Monday, and they should win.
  • Difference in the game was goaltending where oddly enough Kinkaid was not really at fault for any of the goals he allowed.
    • Vasilevskiy was actually very good.
    • Making the big save is extremely important, and Kinkaid did not do that despite the fact none of the goals against were his fault.
  • Tampa didn't have the puck much this game, but they executed their plays very well.
  • This game also shows the importance of simply getting the puck back rather than trying to keep the puck to the outside.
    • The middle of the ice ISN'T the most important ice.
    • The entire 200 by 85 sheet of ice IS the more important ice.
    • Hynes needs to learn this if he wants to have any sustained success in this league.
  • Hynes also needs to be more aggressive with pulling the goalie in the playoffs.
    • If there's less than 4 minutes to go, and you're down by 2 with an offensive zone face-off, the goalie needs to be out.
  • Face-offs are killing this team.

GOALS AGAINST RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Missed defensive assignment
    • Great shot by Point
    • Stoppable
    • Overall it wasn't Kinkaid's fault
  • Goal 2
    • Great pass and great tip by Killorn.
    • Stoppable
    • Not Kinkaid's fault
  • Goal 3
    • Nice deflection by Johnson
    • Stoppable
    • Difficult save, but probably should have been stopped.
  • Goal 4
    • Terrible break
    • Nothing Kinkaid could do
    • Kinkaid is completely absolved.
  • Goal 5
    • Another tough break
    • Again, nothing Kinkaid could do

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 55 to 48
  • ES FF: 47 to 37
  • ES SF: 38 to 22
  • ES SCF: 31 to 28
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 8
  • All CF: 64 to 55
  • All FF: 54 to 44
  • All SF: 44 to 26
  • All SCF: 35 to 34
  • All HDCF: 9 to 10

SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 43.77 to 47.57
  • FF: 37 to 36.77
  • SF: 29.5 to 21.03
  • SCF: 24.32 to 28.52
  • HDCF: 5.14 to 8.06

Thanks Mike, for distilling the stats to what we can take away from these games.

14 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• The Devils were the better team

Are your serious.. get some dam context son, the bolts were up 5 to fricken 1 lmao.. shove your metrics dude it means nothing with a 4 goal lead.. yeah we were better yet down 5 to 1 zzzzzzzzz 

We simply can't give up 4 goals early and win!  sorry boy  Doesnt mean im not proud of the boys , they have heart!!!

Edited by EdgeControl

CS might just get his job back. Maybe he'll be like he was when the season started.  I think Hynes will go with CS. I'm also wondering if inserting Bratt might help. 

I think Ray needs to sign Maroon too.