2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

I see this goal song change contest as just an attempt by the Devils to fish more email addresses and contacts to put into their sales CRM.  I mean there wasn't even an option when you nominated a song to NOT receive emails from them.  That jumped out at me when I suggested Lou Bega.

Plus lately I have been getting a lot of calls and emails that seem to be getting more and more desperate to sell fans tickets.  Maybe the sales have been below expectations given how much the team has changed over the offseason?  That's my guess.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rock said:

One of the original reasons R&R pt 2 got scrapped because the ownership wanted to make the rock more family friendly.

I don't find this credible, because we just inserted "you suck" into the new song and they left that alone for a while. I think this is something someone said online and people started to believe it. You have to know this, because at the very same time, they were eliminating weekend matinee games, which are of course, very family friendly. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I thought the only reason was that Gary Glitter diddled children... 

While clearly playing a song isn't an endorsement of pedophilia, I can certainly understand not wanting to support the piece of garbage who wrote/performed it financially. That's why I am ok with it being gone. 

10 hours ago, Rock said:

I renominated it because it is part of Devils history. 

There's a lot of stuff in history that we shouldn't bring back. 

• Like 2

That was a major part of it also.  I seem to remember during the first goal song vote, that he had lost the rights to the song.  Not that it matters if the song is to remain banned from the rock. I understand the reasons for keeping it banned.  Again it's just me being nostalgic for it being played for every home goal for what 15 or 20 years?

• Like 1

I wasn't crazy about the goal horn from last year, but it wasn't terrible either.  It's hard to replace a classic like R&R Pt2 and I'm not sure anything will ever feel as good or better than that, and that goes for our team or any other really, since I think most teams used it as their song for a long time.  But with that said, I'm open to change and I don't mind them putting this to a vote again.  If something catches on and becomes universally liked by the fanbase then I think they should stick with it for a while and have some consistency, but I don't think that was the case with Howl, so no real issue with them looking for something that might be better.

I don't really have any suggestions, and normally I like the goal horn/song to be just that, a combination of the two (think an initial horn sound followed by something that is more or less an anthem, rather than an actual song), but in this particular case using something like Sublime's "Sirens" starting off with the horn, cutting out a little in between, and then finishing it off with the chorus where they go "Oooh ooh oh oh oh oh oh oh" might be cool. (Essentially the start from 0:00 to 0:12, then 0:48 through 1:15)  I could see that catching on and the fans embracing that chant.   Plus, I think the chorus is kinda cool in from a lyrical and literal standpoint, it might actually represent us as a team and the current attitude

You gon' hear me singing like a siren,
Never shoot us down never silence,
Even when the bullies try to fight us,
You gon' hear me singing like a siren

But, I could be completely wrong.  Everyone has their own tastes and opinions, so it's really hard to come to an agreement on something like this.  

5 minutes ago, Rock said:

That was a major part of it also.  I seem to remember during the first goal song vote, that he had lost the rights to the song.  Not that it matters if the song is to remain banned from the rock. I understand the reasons for keeping it banned.  Again it's just me being nostalgic for it being played for every home goal for what 15 or 20 years?

Not at all, in a perfect world, I would want it back as well. 

Could always just do this...and a "you suck" fits right at the end of the verse...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

While clearly playing a song isn't an endorsement of pedophilia, I can certainly understand not wanting to support the piece of garbage who wrote/performed it financially. That's why I am ok with it being gone. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6273991/gary-glitters-hey-song-stadium-still-played

He was still making $250k/yr off that song in royalties recently.  That hook was fire in sports.
I'm all for him not getting a dime...   but he's in jail for quite a bit of time now and isn't exactly young.
So I honestly don't think it matters anymore...  just play the song.  It works.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I wasn't crazy about the goal horn from last year, but it wasn't terrible either.  It's hard to replace a classic like R&R Pt2 and I'm not sure anything will ever feel as good or better than that, and that goes for our team or any other really, since I think most teams used it as their song for a long time.  But with that said, I'm open to change and I don't mind them putting this to a vote again.  If something catches on and becomes universally liked by the fanbase then I think they should stick with it for a while and have some consistency, but I don't think that was the case with Howl, so no real issue with them looking for something that might be better.

I don't really have any suggestions, and normally I like the goal horn/song to be just that, a combination of the two (think an initial horn sound followed by something that is more or less an anthem, rather than an actual song), but in this particular case using something like Sublime's "Sirens" starting off with the horn, cutting out a little in between, and then finishing it off with the chorus where they go "Oooh ooh oh oh oh oh oh oh" might be cool. (Essentially the start from 0:00 to 0:12, then 0:48 through 1:15)  I could see that catching on and the fans embracing that chant.   Plus, I think the chorus is kinda cool in from a lyrical and literal standpoint, it might actually represent us as a team and the current attitude

You gon' hear me singing like a siren,
Never shoot us down never silence,
Even when the bullies try to fight us,
You gon' hear me singing like a siren

But, I could be completely wrong.  Everyone has their own tastes and opinions, so it's really hard to come to an agreement on something like this.  

This isn't Sublime.  This is the bastardized Sublime with Rome.  It makes a difference.

The you suck chant is fine & dandy, but if we score a goal late in the 3rd after (being down 4-0) taking a good ass whooping, how do you tell the other team they suck? I guess there's a shred of redemption there?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

howl was a fine goal song that ended up fitting in just fine, I don't know why people can never just leave things alone. if its not broke, don't fix it.

I think this is all part of the re-branding they seem to be doing for the last couple of years. The jerseys were part of it. I think it's to separate from the past while still honoring it. Like a "not your father's NJ Devils" type of thing. I feel like management knows eyes will be on this team in the coming years and want to update it. 

Not saying I agree or disagree. I preferred the old jerseys and the current goal song doesn't really register as good or bad to me. Its just there. 

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So.. the Laine rumors seem to be picking up boys.

I personally hope we stay out of it.

Are they?  Haven't seen anything on that, outside of one really crappy amateur site. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

supposedly its 3 EC teams that are in talks for him, again its not that I don't want him on this team he would be a great addition and we would be lethal, I just don't understand how we could afford him unless hall is on his way out the door.

Yea...  I mean if we bring him on, we'd have to push Hall out...  Unless we want to go all-in for next year and lose him for nothing (like Gomez back in the day)
But it would make more sense to trade Hall to recover some of the assets spent getting Laine.

9 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Yea...  I mean if we bring him on, we'd have to push Hall out...  Unless we want to go all-in for next year and lose him for nothing (like Gomez back in the day)
But it would make more sense to trade Hall to recover some of the assets spent getting Laine.

the only thing  I can think of is obviously whatever we are sending back the other way. Simmonds and Greene come off the books after this season as well, however they have to be replaced with someone else to fill those roles on a lesser salary. Anyway, will be fun to see what ends up coming of this if anything.