Jump to content

What to do with #2?


Jerzey
 Share

What should we do with the pick?  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. What should we do with the pick?

    • Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

https://twitter.com/BHolmes_Hockey/status/1529129383914504194 

Draft Eligibles at the #IIHFWorlds

1. P Laine, 2016: 12P in 10GP

2. J Slafkovsky, 2022: 9P in 7GP

3. A Matthews, 2016: 9P in 10GP

4. P Kariya, 1993: 9P in 8GP

5. K Kakko, 2019: 7P in 10GP

6. J Eichel, 2015: 7P in 10GP

7. S Nemec, 2022: 6P in 7GP

8. O Jokinen, 1997: 6P in 8GP

At the risk of being called a stat nerd: put into context versus other recent players, it is even more impressive. The year that Laine got his 12 points, Finland made it to the finals. He was tied for the team lead in points, but Finland was good enough to have multiple players who were scoring at a 1 point/game pace. Matthews was on a decent USA team, that made it to the semifinals, also was tied for the team lead in points. Kakko was tied with 2 other players for 2nd on his team in points, on the team that went on to win the tournament.

All that to say that Slafkovsky was on a team that didn't even make it out of the first round (quarterfinals), and was first on his team in points - the only player who scored more than one point per game on his team. In second were several players with 6 points, and while a 3 point differential doesn't seem like much, that means Slaf had 50% more points than the next best player on his team. Really impressive performance there from Juraj. 

Pretty cool that Nemec made the list, too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nessus said:

At the risk of being called a stat nerd: put into context versus other recent players, it is even more impressive. The year that Laine got his 12 points, Finland made it to the finals. He was tied for the team lead in points, but Finland was good enough to have multiple players who were scoring at a 1 point/game pace. Matthews was on a decent USA team, that made it to the semifinals, also was tied for the team lead in points. Kakko was tied with 2 other players for 2nd on his team in points, on the team that went on to win the tournament.

All that to say that Slafkovsky was on a team that didn't even make it out of the first round (quarterfinals), and was first on his team in points - the only player who scored more than one point per game on his team. In second were several players with 6 points, and while a 3 point differential doesn't seem like much, that means Slaf had 50% more points than the next best player on his team. Really impressive performance there from Juraj. 

Pretty cool that Nemec made the list, too.

You skirted the line, you aren’t a stat nerd. 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nessus said:

At the risk of being called a stat nerd: put into context versus other recent players, it is even more impressive. The year that Laine got his 12 points, Finland made it to the finals. He was tied for the team lead in points, but Finland was good enough to have multiple players who were scoring at a 1 point/game pace. Matthews was on a decent USA team, that made it to the semifinals, also was tied for the team lead in points. Kakko was tied with 2 other players for 2nd on his team in points, on the team that went on to win the tournament.

All that to say that Slafkovsky was on a team that didn't even make it out of the first round (quarterfinals), and was first on his team in points - the only player who scored more than one point per game on his team. In second were several players with 6 points, and while a 3 point differential doesn't seem like much, that means Slaf had 50% more points than the next best player on his team. Really impressive performance there from Juraj. 

Pretty cool that Nemec made the list, too.

Where is high dangerous chances, where is HDC against? Whats about fenwik and corsi? Whats about SV% when he was on the ice? Lazy stat nerding, man, I`m not impressed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Context, is he scored against Kazakhstan and France .. kid showed his skills nicely but let's hold off on the hall of fame induction.? He did have 4 shots against Finland which is probably a tougher feat. As they have a stifling defense

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Context, is he scored against Kazakhstan and France .. kid showed his skills nicely but let's hold off on the hall of fame induction.? He did have 4 shots against Finland which is probably a tougher feat. As they have a stifling defense

he wasn't the only one playing against those teams... 
And that Laine & Matthews got easy games as well... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, moustic said:

he wasn't the only one playing against those teams... 
And that Laine & Matthews got easy games as well... 

His group that year was very , very weak. Belarus, Hungary, France , Germany and Slovakia. USA and Canada were the only challenges in that group. They then played Denmark in the quarters. 

A quick search shows Laine put up half of his points for the tournament in the games against Belarus and Germany (2g-1a in each). He was held pointless in his two games against Canada and the game against the USA. Only big name he got a point against was Russia. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, Guadana said:

https://twitter.com/BHolmes_Hockey/status/1529129383914504194 

Draft Eligibles at the #IIHFWorlds

1. P Laine, 2016: 12P in 10GP

2. J Slafkovsky, 2022: 9P in 7GP

3. A Matthews, 2016: 9P in 10GP

4. P Kariya, 1993: 9P in 8GP

5. K Kakko, 2019: 7P in 10GP

6. J Eichel, 2015: 7P in 10GP

7. S Nemec, 2022: 6P in 7GP

8. O Jokinen, 1997: 6P in 8GP

I hope Montreal doesn’t skip over the consensus #1.  I’m hoping the Devils get Slafkovsky.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

His group that year was very , very weak. Belarus, Hungary, France , Germany and Slovakia. USA and Canada were the only challenges in that group. They then played Denmark in the quarters. 

A quick search shows Laine put up half of his points for the tournament in the games against Belarus and Germany (2g-1a in each). He was held pointless in his two games against Canada and the game against the USA. Only big name he got a point against was Russia. 

so the point is other good  players scored goals against weak opponents. well, yeah, it still doesn't mean much imo. Laine and Matthew were much more prolific scorers in their youth leagues. that where they made their money. all im saying is dont put all your eggs in this one tourney.  i want the best available player, skater scorer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

so the point is other good  players scored goals against weak opponents. well, yeah, it still doesn't mean much imo. Laine and Matthew were much more prolific scorers in their youth leagues. that where they made their money. all im saying is dont put all your eggs in this one tourney.  i want the best available player, skater scorer

Slaf wasn’t playing in a “youth league” though. He was playing in Liiga. And once he started seeing more ice time after the Olympics he started producing at a much better rate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

so the point is other good  players scored goals against weak opponents. well, yeah, it still doesn't mean much imo. Laine and Matthew were much more prolific scorers in their youth leagues. that where they made their money. all im saying is dont put all your eggs in this one tourney.  i want the best available player, skater scorer

what else are we supposed to evaluate him on? we all want the best available player, skater, and scorer but we won’t know those answers for a couple of years.

he had an elite tournament, is close to being the consensus #2 guy, and fits a big organizational need. his PPG in the world’s was brought up to show how well he did compared to other stars, I think dismissing the strength of his opponents is a bit silly (and certainly implied, incorrectly, that the other names on that list played against far superior opponents.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, devlman said:

Ugh Pronman ranked Slaf number one on his board and compared him to Rick Nash. Don’t get any ideas, Montreal.

I’ve seen the Rick Nash comps a few times now. As someone who watched a ton of Nash in Columbus - I would be extremely happy with that. He had very little around him when he was putting up 30-40 goals a season for all those years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

what else are we supposed to evaluate him on? we all want the best available player, skater, and scorer but we won’t know those answers for a couple of years.

he had an elite tournament, is close to being the consensus #2 guy, and fits a big organizational need. his PPG in the world’s was brought up to show how well he did compared to other stars, I think dismissing the strength of his opponents is a bit silly (and certainly implied, incorrectly, that the other names on that list played against far superior opponents.)

why didnt anyone say he was mvp in bejiing??? . I didnt know that!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 3:13 PM, Guadana said:

Where is high dangerous chances, where is HDC against? Whats about fenwik and corsi? Whats about SV% when he was on the ice? Lazy stat nerding, man, I`m not impressed.

forget stats, zacha gets 5 dangerous chances pet game,... who is the best goal scorer in this draft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2022 at 10:45 PM, EdgeControl said:

forget stats, zacha gets 5 dangerous chances pet game,... who is the best goal scorer in this draft

Very questionable. Kemell is a very good shooter, but his decision making is questionable. Slafkovsky has good potential, his shot isn't a great weapon. But he is good and he makes good decision on the ice. They both have potential to be productive goal scorers, Kemmel have better shot, very quick release and use it in different situations, sometimes absurdly, Slaf has huge IQ and he is very good playmaker too. Wright has great potential to be goalscorer, but I don't like his two way game, effort, and I think he should play center role. Wingers and centers work for goals differently. Wright isn't great board player. Kemmel and Slaf are good on the puck, retrieve it well. Like I said before, with good centers Slaf have better potential than Wright on the wing. 

Lekkerimjaki is a very good shooter, but he is typical "sweede". Soft, one way player, who doesn't work well as forechecker. Devils were 3rd best team in goals from the rushes. I don't think that we need something more of the same. Devils were 22th in goals from the cycling. This is were we should add and Slaf is a great add for that. He is a good forecheker in offensive zone, his great hands help him  takeaway puck, his gapcontrol and size overall help him to make a pressure against opponents. 

Savoie and Cooley have good potential. Both are centers, Cooley is very perimeter player, not interior, and he is pretty lost himself in dirty areas. Savoie is very small and his limit is questionable on the NHL level, especially if he will play with other softies in top 6 like Hughes or Holtz. He is electric and I like him, Devils needs something different. Cooley is very talented, I believe he will be great center in Arizona, but I think if you want him on the wing, you are making something wrong. He shows his best in UNTDP when he did play with Snugerud and Gauthier - two big aggressive players.

 

Gauthier easily could be best scorer. He has size, skating, great shot. He isn't good as play driver. But how he using his size against its awesome. He is realy big and use it smartly, he opens areas, blocking defenders etc. He was my pick for 5-6 spot, but we did win lottery.

 

Ofcourse Slaf has his weaknesses. Like many young players. But his combo of hands, skating, size and IQ tell me, that his floor is bigger, than Kakko, and his ceiling is Draiseitl. He is special kid. He did play bottom line role and play it solid. He has limited time and not so well partners. When he start to play more minutes, he was starting to play produce. When he did play Olympic games and WC he play big role and played it big. He was playing better and better through the season. I don't like bets, I'm very tough on players and always talking about weaknesses,  and where i ask questions, he finds answers.

 

I really don't want Wright on thus draft. He is talented guy, but. Sometimes you just see something raw  but something beautiful. And he shows signs that he works on his game. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Very questionable. Kemell is a very good shooter, but his decision making is questionable. Slafkovsky has good potential, his shot isn't a great weapon. But he is good and he makes good decision on the ice. They both have potential to be productive goal scorers, Kemmel have better shot, very quick release and use it in different situations, sometimes absurdly, Slaf has huge IQ and he is very good playmaker too. Wright has great potential to be goalscorer, but I don't like his two way game, effort, and I think he should play center role. Wingers and centers work for goals differently. Wright isn't great board player. Kemmel and Slaf are good on the puck, retrieve it well. Like I said before, with good centers Slaf have better potential than Wright on the wing. 

Lekkerimjaki is a very good shooter, but he is typical "sweede". Soft, one way player, who doesn't work well as forechecker. Devils were 3rd best team in goals from the rushes. I don't think that we need something more of the same. Devils were 22th in goals from the cycling. This is were we should add and Slaf is a great add for that. He is a good forecheker in offensive zone, his great hands help him  takeaway puck, his gapcontrol and size overall help him to make a pressure against opponents. 

Savoie and Cooley have good potential. Both are centers, Cooley is very perimeter player, not interior, and he is pretty lost himself in dirty areas. Savoie is very small and his limit is questionable on the NHL level, especially if he will play with other softies in top 6 like Hughes or Holtz. He is electric and I like him, Devils needs something different. Cooley is very talented, I believe he will be great center in Arizona, but I think if you want him on the wing, you are making something wrong. He shows his best in UNTDP when he did play with Snugerud and Gauthier - two big aggressive players.

 

Gauthier easily could be best scorer. He has size, skating, great shot. He isn't good as play driver. But how he using his size against its awesome. He is realy big and use it smartly, he opens areas, blocking defenders etc. He was my pick for 5-6 spot, but we did win lottery.

 

Ofcourse Slaf has his weaknesses. Like many young players. But his combo of hands, skating, size and IQ tell me, that his floor is bigger, than Kakko, and his ceiling is Draiseitl. He is special kid. He did play bottom line role and play it solid. He has limited time and not so well partners. When he start to play more minutes, he was starting to play produce. When he did play Olympic games and WC he play big role and played it big. He was playing better and better through the season. I don't like bets, I'm very tough on players and always talking about weaknesses,  and where i ask questions, he finds answers.

 

I really don't want Wright on thus draft. He is talented guy, but. Sometimes you just see something raw  but something beautiful. And he shows signs that he works on his game. 

Great post.  Agree on the analysis of those centers. Funny how many scouts are rating slafs shot at above nhl avg.  I like that he has good puck protection and can cycle, he will age very well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Great post.  Agree on the analysis of those centers. Funny how many scouts are rating slafs shot at above nhl avg.  I like that he has good puck protection and can cycle, he will age very well

He has good release. Its really strange to me. I watch some of his early game and it wasn't looked well. But when I'm lookin at olympic and wc games  - he did it faster and stronger. Mechanics... still see how good scorers do it differently, but if he will safe a starting speed and add more snipe, its would be a scoring winger. With a lot of options 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I love these idiotic rumors coming from Vancouver that Fitz is considering sending the 2OA in exchange for a 30 year-old JT Miller. 

Yeah that’s some home cooking on those rumors lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Boston is thinking of a rebuild with Bergeron probably retiring. Probably not considering they just dealt for Lindholm. BUT, if they are, and this may be a bit nutty, I wonder if Pasta could be had. He’s still young enough to fit with our core’s window.

Would something like 2OA + ’23 protected first + Sharangovich and Walsh be a start to negotiations?

edit: whoops Nevermind that, he’s a UFA next year

Edited by devlman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I wonder if Boston is thinking of a rebuild with Bergeron probably retiring. Probably not considering they just dealt for Lindholm. BUT, if they are, and this may be a bit nutty, I wonder if Pasta could be had. He’s still young enough to fit with our core’s window.

Would something like 2OA + ’23 protected first + Sharangovich and Walsh be a start to negotiations?

edit: whoops Nevermind that, he’s a UFA next year

I saw they’ll also be without Marchand and McAvoy for the first 1-2 months of the season. Hopefully that’s a playoff spot we can take instead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, devlman said:

I wonder if Boston is thinking of a rebuild with Bergeron probably retiring. Probably not considering they just dealt for Lindholm. BUT, if they are, and this may be a bit nutty, I wonder if Pasta could be had. He’s still young enough to fit with our core’s window.

Would something like 2OA + ’23 protected first + Sharangovich and Walsh be a start to negotiations?

edit: whoops Nevermind that, he’s a UFA next year

Even if he wasn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nessus said:

Interviews from the combine on the Devils' YouTube channel. Slafkovsky is a funny dude, great answer at 5:20.

I mean, who doesn’t love a talk that taste better than dinner…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.