GDT - Devils @ Hurricanes Semifinals Game 1 5/3/23 7:00pm ESPN

NJDfan1711

Well after what was an exhilarating game to close out the quarterfinals yesterday, we're on to Round 2 in the semifinals against another team we really don't like very much.  This season was funny, the first two games we played them at home, we lost 4-1 and 5-4 in a shootout, then we followed that up later in the season by beating them 5-3 and 3-0 on the road.  Not all that surprising given how good we were on the road this year.  

Carolina is pretty banged up so we'll see if injuries play a factor at all.  Even before Schmid just upped his game in the last series I still felt that we had the edge in goal over them, and that's even if Anderson plays for them.  On offense, we're both very quick teams, but I think we're a bit quicker. On defense, it might be pretty even - they are sound defensively and also have guys who can contribute on the scoresheet now and then.  Special Teams may again be a deciding factor in the series like it often is, and was of course crucial against the Rags.  I don't follow the Canes that closely but I hear their PK is very good.  I'm confident we can score 5 on 5 though, as long as we stick to our game - we proved it this past series.  

Overall, I feel just like I did against the Rags - I am not nervous, but cautiously optimistic. I expect it to go at least 6 games, maybe 7. I think the boys should feel very confident in their abilities, and as long they don't get cocky, but stay hungry, we have a great chance to win and continue this wonderful run.  I also really expect guys like Meier, Tatar, Bratt, and Nico to heat up some, and guys like Dougie to put some goals again too (wouldn't that be sweet against his old team).

All in all, should be a fun one - can't wait for tomorrow.

Let's Go Devils.

• Like 2
  • EvilHeart 2

I had Devils in 6 vs the Rangers…for some reason I feel like this series will be a little easier.  Going with the same prediction (even though I was off a game the previous round).  Kinda like that the Devils are almost playing right away…while they’re still pumped from taking down the Rags.

• Like 2
  • EvilHeart 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I had Devils in 6 vs the Rangers…for some reason I feel like this series will be a little easier.  Going with the same prediction (even though I was off a game the previous round).  Kinda like that the Devils are almost playing right away…while they’re still pumped from taking down the Rags.

I actually had Devils in 7.  I felt no matter who won that last round, it was going 7 regardless.  Just seemed like we matched up well, and that given the history and rivalry between there was no way it wasn't going the distance.  Trying to think more with my head than my heart, I'm still going to say Devils in 6 this series as well.

• Like 1

Carolina isn’t going to be an easy task, however i do feel if we can do what we did in round one against the rangers then we can match up and compete with anyone. I thought NY was going to be a real test and it sure was. The boys now have a little experience under them and they can say they know what it’s like to compete in playoff hockey and also a game 7! Let’s go boys! Bring all that momentum and play your best hockey, there is still a long road ahead of this thing!

Edited by 2ELIAS6
  • Like 1

The thing that terrified me about getting the Rangers in the first round this year was that we wouldn’t be ready.   Given that we literally just spotted them the first two games and still won, it’s hard not to be confident going forward.  It feels like this team gained 2 years of experience in 2 weeks.  The game 5 & 7 wins were just dominant.   

I feel good about this Carolina series but at least if we lose, it’s probably because they were just the better team.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJCroMag said:

Dear New Jersey Devils,

Please accept this inspirational parable as my best wishes for a game one victory tonight against the Hurricanes...

The moral of the story, obviously, is that...uhhh...there are still parts of North Carolina where people don't wear shoes?  That's...wow...that's the best I've got.  I'm not very good at this, apparently.

Anyway...best of luck!

With eternal love,
NJCroMag

[AUTHOR'S NOTE:  I had to Google it afterwards, but apparently, the story is about how important it is to have the right mindset and attitude to properly assess a situation.  But I like my shoes theory better.]

Lol, shot bro… but let’s hope we’re salesmen 2

Edited by 2ELIAS6
  • Like 2
  • EvilHeart 1

I may hate the Canes more than the Rangers actually.  I still can't get over the Staal goal to complete the comeback against the Devils that time in the playoffs and Sutter's bewildered look after the fact.

Tough road ahead, but if we play how we know how to play, we can do it.

2 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

I may hate the Canes more than the Rangers actually.  I still can't get over the Staal goal to complete the comeback against the Devils that time in the playoffs and Sutter's bewildered look after the fact.

Tough road ahead, but if we play how we know how to play, we can do it.

My hatred for the Rangers and their less-than-pond-scum fanbase has reached an all-time high (which I didn't think was possible, honestly).  Everyone's familiar with the story of the Devils' employee holding a sign who got sucker-punched by some fat loser Ranger fan...I clicked on twitter to see the responses, and though admittedly some Ranger fans clearly did NOT condone what happened, too many of them had crap like this to say:

"Duuuuuuuuuuh, well he musta done sumthin!"

"Duuuuuuuuuuh, maybe don't say nuthin next time and you won't get hit!"  (Guy was a Devils employee who could only have said so much, so what could he have possibly said to deserve a fvcking SUCKER PUNCH?!)

Basically, plenty of Ranger fans thought that guy was completely justified in throwing a punch.  Just the fvcking WORST.

Moving on now...

As for the Canes, this feels like a real shot to exorcise a real demon...it's now been a while obviously, but that team has been a thorn in our sides more than once.  I was there to see the Devils get eliminated by the Canes in 2002 and 2009...and of course they got knocked out in especially convincing fashion in 2006.  In what's often been a season of exorcisms, I'm especially ready for THIS one.  Go get 'em boys!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If the Devils stop taking dumb ass penalties, stick to their defensive structure and play, like we know they can, in the offensive zone then I think they have a really good chance to win this. I'm hoping that the likes of Nico, Meier and Bratt can score a few goals this series as well.

As we've seen from the exits of the Bruins, Bolts and Avs no team should feel it doesn't have a chance. Strangely, I feel a lot less stressed about this series than I did the one against the Rags.

LGD!

14 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

If the Devils stop taking dumb ass penalties, stick to their defensive structure and play, like we know they can, in the offensive zone then I think they have a really good chance to win this. I'm hoping that the likes of Nico, Meier and Bratt can score a few goals this series as well.

As we've seen from the exits of the Bruins, Bolts and Avs no team should feel it doesn't have a chance. Strangely, I feel a lot less stressed about this series than I did the one against the Rags.

LGD!

Re:  the bolded, the same...I feel like they got this.  I don't think there's going to be a repeat of Games 1 and 2.

It will also be nice if the refs decide to call penalties more evenly in this one.  But even if they don't, Devils have shown that they can overcome it.  Also re:  penalties, I get the feeling Wood just learned his lesson the very hard way.  I'm sure it's going to be "You do anything else stupid, it's the bench and more scratches Miles!" from here on out. 

I mentioned it elsewhere but one thing that's nice about the playoffs is that each series is a chance to start fresh.  So maybe this is the series where all of a sudden Nico and others start lighting it up.  That will be important...only so much that you can keep asking of Haula, Siegs, Palat, McLeod, Lazar, etc.  We know Palat is showing why he's a great guy to have come playoff time, but still, need the stars to find the net. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1