Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

mikemarc1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was already there for three years...time flies.  Sounds like it was only going to be a three-year gig no matter what, as far as being the GM goes:

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/lou-lamoriello-out-as-gm-of-the-maple-leafs#comments

HOLY sh!t.  I literally thought this just happened last year lol.  Wow.  I guess I don't know what I was thinking, seeing as Shero has obviously been there that long.  I must've been thinking that Lou stayed here a year in parallel with Shero when he was in that "advisor" role (did he?)

I guess it's not all that surprising then.  Looking back, 3 years seems to be what I would have given Lou at that time - enough to get the balling rolling with the new regime they had then (Babcock, Shanny, some young rookies), and now I'm guessing they are going to look to someone else to take it a step further and lead them to the promised land. 

Lou turns 76 this year and it's hard to imagine a team giving him a GM position without it having be like it was in Toronto.  He slid into a perfect position there where the structure was already in place and he didn't have to run everything.  I can't imagine an owner giving over his franchise to a 76 year old GM - how would you not already be planning the transition away from him?

5 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

Grateful for what he has done but the game has passed him. As it has Queenville and  Babcock as well. I'd say Babs gets maybe one more year.

You’ll have teams lining up to hire both these guys if they’re fired in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You’ll have teams lining up to hire both these guys if they’re fired in the near future. 

Oh no, that's 100% guaranteed. Coaches get hired for what they have done in the past all the time.  A reason we see the same ol coaches recycled on different teams so much.  If I didn't like Hynes I'd bite on them myself.

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Yeah the plan for Lou in Toronto was always to just be the GM for those 3 years while the mentor along his successor (likely Kyle Dubas), so him not returning isn't reflective of his or the team's performance. All things considered, Lou did a pretty good job in those 3 years.

This is all spot on. His contract was for 7 years, 3 as a GM and 4 as a senior adviser. Shanahan just came out and said the plan hasn't changed. Lou did a great job up there but was never a long term solution, obviously. None of this is out of the blue, and this isn't a firing. 

Speculation out of Toronto is that he'll end up taking a job elsewhere, probably on the Island. I'm pretty sure his son Steve is there. 

8 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

This is all spot on. His contract was for 7 years, 3 as a GM and 4 as a senior adviser. Shanahan just came out and said the plan hasn't changed. Lou did a great job up there but was never a long term solution, obviously. None of this is out of the blue, and this isn't a firing. 

Speculation out of Toronto is that he'll end up taking a job elsewhere, probably on the Island. I'm pretty sure his son Steve is there. 

Pretty sure his sons name is Chris - who's done nothing of note other than burn Devils minor league towns to the ground.

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

Lou turns 76 this year and it's hard to imagine a team giving him a GM position without it having be like it was in Toronto.  He slid into a perfect position there where the structure was already in place and he didn't have to run everything.  I can't imagine an owner giving over his franchise to a 76 year old GM - how would you not already be planning the transition away from him?

Yeah, he was past his prime 10 years before leaving Jersey and has now had another GM stint since. Time for Lou to chill out and maybe grow a beard in his retirement like Letterman did.

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Pretty sure his sons name is Chris - who's done nothing of note other than burn Devils minor league towns to the ground.

Yea you're definitely right, I don't know what part of my ass I pulled Steve out of (lol).

I know he did d1ck with our minor league system, but I was just listening to a talk show that was saying he was in the Isles organization, is that not the case?

Edited by thecoffeecake

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea you're definitely right, I don't know what part of my ass I pulled Steve out of (lol).

I know he did d1ck with our minor league system, but I was just listening to a talk show that was saying he was in the Isles organization, is that not the case?

he's the Isles director of player personnel - which is funny and great for the rest of us.  

9 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Yeah, he was past his prime 10 years before leaving Jersey and has now had another GM stint since. Time for Lou to chill out and maybe grow a beard in his retirement like Letterman did.

For some, retirement can be a death sentence.  What is it for LL?  I just cant't see him retiring.  He will be working somewhere.  You just can't shut if off cold turkey after so many years in the game.

3 hours ago, aclc79 said:

For some, retirement can be a death sentence.  What is it for LL?  I just cant't see him retiring.  He will be working somewhere.  You just can't shut if off cold turkey after so many years in the game.

That whole "Senior Adviser" thing sounds like they give him an office and he can hang out when he feels like it, and they'll ask him questions so he feels useful. 

Doesn't really seem like a rough gig and he could do that forever. 

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That whole "Senior Adviser" thing sounds like they give him an office and he can hang out when he feels like it, and they'll ask him questions so he feels useful. 

Yep same question every day - hey Lou what's for lunch?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Doesn't really seem like a rough gig and he could do that forever. 

I kinda feel Lou has Shanny's ear quite a lot. But obviously it won't be the same as when he was GM.

It has to be tough to wind down a career after you have spent most of your life at it.  Who knows what he decides to do next?  If his health is good, he can certainly still be productive, especially with all the the contacts he has in the game.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, titans04 said:

he's the Isles director of player personnel - which is funny and great for the rest of us.  

Chris Lamoriello is an Assistant GM with the Isles.  People are speculating that Lou will go there because (a) it's not in his DNA to sit around and advise others how to do their jobs - he wants to be the one pulling the strings,  (b) he apparently has a good relationship with Garth Snow, and (c) his son works in their front office.  I just don't see Lou going there, but anything is possible.  One thing I'm pretty sure of is Lou is not long for staying around glad handing sponsors in Toronto.    

On 4/30/2018 at 1:21 PM, Neb00rs said:

Toronto had a really good team this year. They ran into the best team in the league in the first round of the playoffs and took them to seven games.

They did have a really good team this season but Boston wasn't the best team in the league, they were 3rd best in the overall standings Toronto was only 7 points back as well. Yet another reason why I don't like this dumb playoff format and I don't like Toronto.