Islanders Opinion Poll

RunninWithTheDevil

Islanders: Love? Hate? Indifferent?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Just as the title states. As a Devils fan, what is your opinion on the Islanders?

• Love
    • Hate
    • Indifferent
  2. 2. Would you ever/are you rooting for them in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't even been watching them
  3. 3. Last week on the Michael Kay Show, Don Lagreca brought this topic up and some people said that it makes you a fraud to root for another team in the playoffs. Does it?

• Yes
    • No
    • "It's complicated but...."

No real issues with them.  I grew up on Long Island and my grandmother has lived in Uniondale for nearly 60 years, 5 minutes from the Coliseum.  She's a diehard fan to this day, and I'd be happy for her if they won one more time while she's still around to witness it.  I also have another good friend who's a big Islander fan who I'd be happy for as well.

Other than that, I don't go out of my way to root for them because they're one of our rivals.  I don't find their team, or fanbase, to be annoying though in any respect.  So for the most part, I'd say I'm indifferent to them.

Edited by NJDfan1711

I’m also indifferent towards them. As far rooting for another team making you a fraud? That’s bs. If you’re a massive fan of the sport and you still want to enjoy the playoffs even if your team isn’t playing I see no problem rooting for other teams/players. For example just last year I was happy for Ovi to finally win the Cup. It will obviously never match the excitement/level of joy you get from watching your own team though. 

• Like 2

I'm pulling for Lou and the Islanders so that maybe every supremely arrogant sports writer based in the vicinity of Toronto might shut up about everything they're sure they know, if maybe for ten seconds.  Obviously, not a single one of them will admit that they don't know what they're talking about.

Indifferent: We haven't faced them in enough recently in meaningful games to develop hatred.  That'll change though over the coming years if the Devils rebound and the Isles stay relevant.

No: I couldn't root for a NY market team in any context.  They're a cool story, though.  Hoping for a Isles-Leafs series tbh.

No: If your team isn't in the playoffs, who cares if you pick a different non-rival team to root for?

Also, the guy who said you're a fraud to root for another team in the playoffs is a moron.  When your favorite team is out, if you're a hockey fan, there's no reason why you can't cheer another team on, for whatever reason it might be.

This year for me is kinda odd, for the following reasons:

- Lightning: I live in Tampa, and prior to last night, I was pulling for them because I've been here for 20 years, and was at Game 7 in 04

- Islanders: I wouldn't mind the Isles winning, for the reasons mentioned in my prior post

- Blue Jackets: A good buddy of mine sells corporate suites for Columbus, just started with them a few months ago 

- Hurricanes:  My brother recently moved to Raleigh and is having his first baby in a few weeks.  

For all of those reasons, I wouldn't really mind if any of those teams won the Cup.  Probably would if the Blue Jackets did, because we kinda hate them and we always suck against them, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  It's not like the Rags or Flyers winning the Cup. But with all of that in mind, I wouldn't say I'm "rooting" for any of those teams. I just like to see good playoff hockey.

I've always had sympathy for them as I felt they are in a similar situation as we are. A suburb team in the media shadow of the rangers. After all the arena and Tavares sh!t they had to go through, I'm happy that they have something to cheer for.

Edited by eaglejelly

I couldnt really care about the fish sticks.. I think its great that they had Tavares walk on their asses and they came back this season to find success. Im glad they beat the pens but from this point on, I wouldn't mind if they get flushed down the toilet.

Yeah, indifferent in general...my hatred is pretty much saved for the Rangers and certain a$$hole players (like Marchand, Kucherov, etc).  I'm actually kind of indifferent to Lou as well...he did do a nice job in bringing in Trotz (even if that was the "obvious" move to some) and Lehner's worked out for him, but I'm more concerned about Devil-related matters.  Lou is now a rival GM, so I can't root for him or his team to have success. 

in sports there's always a time where you'll have to root for a team you hate or don't care. At least temporary. Maybe they are playing against someone you hate more. Maybe the results of them winning will help your team somehow.  It's really not as black and white.

I mean it's possible that next year we have to root for the rangers to win a game against wtv team we're competing with for a playoffs spot, happens all the time

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

in sports there's always a time where you'll have to root for a team you hate or don't care. At least temporary. Maybe they are playing against someone you hate more. Maybe the results of them winning will help your team somehow.  It's really not as black and white.

I mean it's possible that next year we have to root for the rangers to win a game against wtv team we're competing with for a playoffs spot, happens all the time

You have no issue rooting for your beloved Rangers. In playoff series no less. Against non Devils rivals

• Like 1

Usually I'm indifferent to them but in the playoffs I like rooting for an underdog and that's how I view the Islanders. Fantastic players though they are I dislike Malkin & Crosby so I'd be rooting for most (not all!) teams to beat them. Thinking about it I don't so much root for other teams in the playoffs as I just want certain teams (Rags, Flyers), players (Crosby, Malkin, Marchand, Callahan,  etc) and coaches (DeBoer, Tortorella) to lose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, '7' said:

You have no issue rooting for your beloved Rangers. In playoff series no less. Against non Devils rivals

lol dude i honestly think if you're just trolling with this constant jab at me. Then that'd be funny

if you're actually serious though... you're straight up insanely dumb

We'll I'm clearly in the minority here but I've always been more of a fvck everyone else kind of fan. I just have teams that I hate less than other teams. 

I can't stand the Islanders. Divisional local rival with an annoying fan base that shows up in our building and acts just as annoying as the other idiots in blue.

I feel like those of you who are more passive about them haven't dealt with their fans at our games in the last few years and how annoying they are for a team that hasn't won anything since the early 80s.

fvck them, hope they get swept by Washington. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Also touching on the other part of the question, if you're rooting for another team to win, like anyone else beating the Rangers or another team you hate that's one thing. Or like some individual players and give a half hearted woo when they do well that's fine by me. 

If you pick another team immediately, update your stupid social media with their logo or go out and buy their gear and wear it then yeah, you're a damn fraud. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

I am indifferent because I don’t really think about the Islanders. I became a fan after they were good. Even though they are local, I don’t really consider them a rival. When I think of their fans, we both hate the Rangers so there’s some common ground to be had. I have a signed Devils jersey on my wall, more than once an Islanders fan has made a negative comment and I ask if they are a Rangers fan, and when they say no, I say “well fvck the Rangers, at least we agree on that”. 

I don’t root for anyone other than the Devils. I’ll root against a team like SH describes, but picking another team and hoping they win? That’s ridiculous to me. I want the Devils to win the Cup. If they don’t, then I don’t care who does as long as it’s not a team I can’t stand. 

On occasion, however, I’ll want to see a team win because they made a good Cinderella type run, or it otherwise makes for an interesting narrative. Like Vegas last year. But was I rooting for them? No. Did I care when they lost? Not at all. 

That said, I will add that the presentation of the Stanley Cup at the end of the last game is my favorite TV moment every year. No matter who wins, other than the Rangers. 

• Like 1

Also, LaGreca is a purported Devils fan who does Rangers play by play. As far as I’m concerened, that's pretty fraudulent. 

I don’t wanna hear “he’s getting paid”, or “what’s he supposed to do, it’s work”. I’m a fan and I don’t have to think about it rationally. Fvck that Kenny Rogers looking fraud. 

• Like 1